• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Optima MK3

KsKev

Jul 24, 2014
Southeast Kansas
Well, after reading ALL the info, and asking a lot of questions.....
I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the Optima MK3!!!!
I just feel that this is the RIGHT radio to get!
Now, the wait begins, looking forward to getting and setting it up!!!
Thanks everyone for the help in the posts you've done and answering my inquiries!

Did you order from the dealer?? And I don't mean EBay LOL! If so it will be right when you get it. Undertaker just got one and he can attest to how well they actually work on SSB especially. Not a bells and whistles radio, a simple but quite well built radio, bottom line!! Have fun with it.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
Now that my Optima is on the way.... been looking at getting the
Texas Star DX 500 (non variable) to use with it and ask a few questions about it.
Sounds like a good one to use, all I need to do is run 2 1/2 watts or so DK into it.
I have seen that others with this radio get the TS 500 to use with it, but the more I think about it for the price of it, (guess I'm starting to be a cheap old fart) do I really need to go with that big of amp or can I use a bit smaller one like say a TS DX 350 and save a few $$$$$ without sacrificing the reason of getting a Texas Star Amp?
Can the TS 350 handle/work with this radio?
Thoughts? Opinions? Or just shut up, open that wallet and get that TS 500?

Yes and no on the DX350. Yes you could use it with this radio "if" and I say "if" you have the total am pep power lowered to about 15-20 watts max. SSB power would also need to be decreased to about the same wattage, 15-20w PEP. You can control DK of radio in AM mode, but not the overall PEP wattage unless you have it done. SSB mode, use the RF power to get power down to what is needed.
No I wouldn't use a TS 350DX with the optima mk3, especially a newer one. JMO on that, but I think you'll find most will agree that you will overdrive the amp (TS 350dx), with the optima mk3.
Stick to the plan and get the TS500 or similar. Again the TNT 600hd is another amp that will work well paired with the optima mk3. But that is JMHO.
Also, if no one has said this yet, get your antenna system as best as it can be before you add an amp!!! Again, JMHO. Have a good one.

Reactions: binrat
Yes and no on the DX350. Yes you could use it with this radio "if" and I say "if" you have the total am pep power lowered to about 15-20 watts max. SSB power would also need to be decreased to about the same wattage, 15-20w PEP. You can control DK of radio in AM mode, but not the overall PEP wattage unless you have it done. SSB mode, use the RF power to get power down to what is needed.
No I wouldn't use a TS 350DX with the optima mk3, especially a newer one. JMO on that, but I think you'll find most will agree that you will overdrive the amp (TS 350dx), with the optima mk3.
Stick to the plan and get the TS500 or similar. Again the TNT 600hd is another amp that will work well paired with the optima mk3. But that is JMHO.
Also, if no one has said this yet, get your antenna system as best as it can be before you add an amp!!! Again, JMHO. Have a good one.

OK, I'll crack open the old wallet.... I kind of figured that would be the answer since nobody else said they were using but the TS 500!
I'll look into the TNT 600 HD as well.

Got cha on the antenna.... going with Sirio Tornado 27!
Says can handle 1000 watts. sounds like it should do the job!

On the Texas Star 500 it shows this when purchasing:

* Tune up conversion.broadband:
  • YES .Tune up conversion broad band
  • NO broad banded
what does this mean???
And which should I do IF I go with the Texas Star?

Do not over drive you ts 500 ! my optima is set to 2.75 dk.
I have in line power meter BEFORE the amp to keep a eye my power in-put to amp.
I use RF knob to "tune up my RF out-put on SSB keeping in-put to amp at no more then 20w pep.....just for safety.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.