• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 200x

Number15

May 18, 2005
Stockton CA.
I Think my capasitors are bad how do i check???? when i key amp goes up them slowly loss of power???(( Backs down slow)). Tubes check out good. Capasitors are 100mfd 450vdc anyone know were i can get these , or can i put somthing else in.Thanks #15.

Number15 said:
I Think my capasitors are bad how do i check???? when i key amp goes up them slowly loss of power???(( Backs down slow)). Tubes check out good. Capasitors are 100mfd 450vdc anyone know were i can get these , or can i put somthing else in.Thanks #15.

__________Warning, there is 800 VDC in that thing, it will not kill you but it will spoil your day!_______________

You have the Palomar 200X, the one with the 6LF6s driven by the 6JB6. There are a couple of things that could cause your amplifier to act like that.

First, you ask as to whether or not you can change the value of the filter caps in the HV powersupply. Yes, you can put in 220 uf at 450 vdc caps; stick to the same form factor (shape and size). When filter caps go bad, you know it because they "bust" and the oil insulator jets out and they smell really bad. I would suspect them only if the high voltage on the plates of the tube is dropping severly under load, you had an explosion in the amp or, you are getting reports of AC hum in your transmission.

I think if I were you, I might check to see if it is dropping power in both the Hi position and the low power side. There is a 1.8 K ohms resistor on pin 2 of the driver tube, there is also a 1.8K on pins 5 / 9 of the final check that also; those resistors form your bias circuit.

When your power drops, are you able to recover it by retuning? There are 2 DC blocking / RF Coupling caps (.002 uf at 2000 volts), if either of those are changing with temp, your power out will change.

Let me know what you find.

Paws264, u are right its dropping power on the hi and low seting, and when i retune the power goes up ? so changing the caps and the resistors is what i should do ???

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated