• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pearce Simpson Simba SSB 2

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Sometime during the 1970s I owned a 23 channel Simba SSB. And while I don't remember the performance being anything special, boy did it look cool. :whistle: At some point Pearce Simpson came out with the Simba SSB 2. If I remember right, when manufacturers came out with a version 2 it usually meant a radio had been upgraded from 23 channels to 40. However, I believe the Simba SSB 2 was still only 23 channels.

Does anyone know what the main differences are between the Simba SSB 2 and its predecessor?

Thanks,
Jim

Did some more research and it appears Version 2 has a PLL board whereas the earlier models don't. Some say it's the same one that's found in the Courier Centurion and Radio Shack TRC-457.

What is the advantage of a Phase Locked Loop system?

Did some more research and it appears Version 2 has a PLL board whereas the earlier models don't. Some say it's the same one that's found in the Courier Centurion and Radio Shack TRC-457.

What is the advantage of a Phase Locked Loop system?

I'm guessing more stable than crystals over time, cheaper due to less crystals. You can probably mod it for 40. I seem to remember there being a kind of "tweener" stage when a lot of the 23 channel rigs went PLL, and then all the 40 channel PLL rigs came out a bit later. Also remember there being mods to give you the additional channels to make it a 40 channel rig, and some of the 40 channel rigs could be modded for waaaay more channels both above 40 and below channel 1. I'm sure some of the tech guys can be more specific on your rig.

Brett

Reactions: Riverman
Thanks, Brett.
Looks like the SSB 2 was a "tweener stage" radio.
It appears the new board was the only major change between the two.

ssb 2, is a 23 channel radio,,, if i remember right,,, it had the 858 in the pll,,, so it easily modifiable for extra channels,, you didnt get all but that was because of the 23,24 25 channel issue,,,and the A channels issue,,,the simba 2 was in my opinion going to be like the tiger 23,, where when they went 40 channel if you had bought a tiger 23 you sent it in and supposedly they converted to 40 channels and sent it back to you,, but i think it didnt happen, and of course ps went out of businesss in the cb market,,,

Hey, Brett.
If you're still following, you'll find this interesting.
I was reading the radioreference.com thread about the Simba 2 when . . . on page 2 in the 11th post I followed a link and suddenly, there you were!
It's a small world.

Reactions: 2RT307
Hey, Brett.
If you're still following, you'll find this interesting.
I was reading the radioreference.com thread about the Simba 2 when . . . on page 2 in the 11th post I followed a link and suddenly, there you were!
It's a small world.
lol... thanks.

I have an old Pierce Simpson 23 channel mobile. it is crystal based, not pll. Modified it to have 36-40 by adding crystals, which was way more money than I should have paid. Really kind of a cool old rig, though.

Brett

lol... thanks.

I have an old Pierce Simpson 23 channel mobile. it is crystal based, not pll. Modified it to have 36-40 by adding crystals, which was way more money than I should have paid. Really kind of a cool old rig, though.

Brett

I always like the look of the PS radios with the black, chrome and fake woodgrain. Don't know why the Guardian 23 didn't have it. I loved mine but dang it was ugly!

Reactions: 2RT307
I think they are neat. Old school look. My Panther lights up the meter in red when I key it up. Had mine converted to a 4 pin, and like I said, added 36-40 so I could actually talk on sideband. lol Rig looks a lot like this one:
Pearce-Simpson_Panther SSB.jpg

Advantage of a PLL in a CB is cost.

A PLL chip and two or three crystals was cheaper than 14 crystals. There were PLL-controlled 23-channel radios. They showed up around the time that the 40-channel expansion was announced.

To get 40 channels from crystals alone would require a pile of crystals. Around this time, new chips that shrunk a PLL down to one or two chips became available.

Lucky timing.

Or maybe the chip companies discovered that a good way to sell millions of their product was to design them so CB factories would put them into millions of CB radios.

The economics to design a 40-channel radio were just too clear. Only one 40-channel CB was built with a crystal-only synthesizer. The Tram D201A. Keeping the price down did not seem to be one of their top priorities.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated