• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Picked up what I was told is a Ringo Ranger for 2 meters

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
I picked this up today for $30. (hope I did good) I was told it's a Ringo Ranger antenna but I don't see any markings on it, other than the coax does say "Cushcraft" which I have read is the maker of Ringo antennas.

I had to add in a 5 ft. TV antenna pole between the main antenna and the vertical ground plane. I found out the connector on the ground plane is jacked up. Some idiot cross threaded the connector on at one point so the threads on the tip are messed up.

Maybe I can score this connector really cheap? Or is it imperative there needs to be a coax connected between the horizontal ground plane and the main portion of the antenna?

Anyways please view the pics and advise. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Ringo Ranger 001.jpg
    Ringo Ranger 001.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,375
  • Ringo Ranger 002.jpg
    Ringo Ranger 002.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 957
  • Ringo Ranger 003.jpg
    Ringo Ranger 003.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 656
  • Ringo Ranger 004.jpg
    Ringo Ranger 004.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 947
  • Ringo Ranger 005.jpg
    Ringo Ranger 005.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 968
  • Ringo Ranger 006.jpg
    Ringo Ranger 006.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,480
  • Ringo Ranger 007.jpg
    Ringo Ranger 007.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 2,352

That is an ARX-2B. They are a great antenna.

I used one for years, until I replaced it with an ARX-270 dual-band.

Make sure you clean it up as you assenble it, since aluminum does corrode. Use sealing dope on the coax at all three connectors, and plan on redoing these two things every two to three years. With periodic cleaning and resealing this antenna performs very well--almost rivalling a beam with an omni-direction pattren!

Thanks Dave. May I ask, is it imperative to run the ground plane radio on this antenna? One of the radials broke off today.

Thanks Dave. May I ask, is it imperative to run the ground plane radio on this antenna? One of the radials broke off today.

If you remove the radial ring and coax sectionfrom an ARX-2B, and feed directly to the ring match, you now have an ARX-2. You lose a couple dB, but it is not too bad.

Cushcraft (now part of MFJ) sells replacement parts.

Good luck!

Cool. I may try that as I'm anxious to get this up to start talking.

The guy I bought it from said it also worked on 70 cm....any truth in that?

Thanks Bruce, good to see you here and not just the truckers forum. Guess the guy lied to me, he said he could run 70 cm with it. I've not tried it nor will I.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.