• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pickup truck mounting

If you can do 80 miles while sacrificing 80% of a roof mount, wouldn't that put a good roof mount into the outer edge of NVIS territory?
Keep in mind my left front fender was strategically pointed towards Harrisburg PA. That ball mount was pretty useless talking behind me and off to the sides.
Wouldn't nvis at 80 miles sound like I was sitting right next to you?
The guy that heard me said I wasn't even moving his needle and he could barely hear me out in the distance. That doesn't really sound like NVIS to me.
That ball Mount was a quick easy 10-minute installation. My roof mount was an all day project since I had to remove the entire interior of my vehicle just to get the headliner out but it was well worth the effort. Edit. I may have misunderstood your question and I'm not sure how to respond about the roof mount except I get pretty comprable performance towards Harrisburg with the roof mount but it's excellent performance in a fairly omnidirectional radiation pattern with the roof mount. I don't really know about nvis

It was just a long way of saying you pulled that 80% figure out of thin air.

I dropped the headliner in my 97 suburban, and that was way too much work. I thought I would be smart when I installed my 2m antenna and mounted it above the rear a/c controls. It took me 4 or 5 hours to get the coax ran down the "B" pillar and under the drivers seat. Good antenna installs are not fun at all.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
It was just a long way of saying you pulled that 80% figure out of thin air.

I dropped the headliner in my 97 suburban, and that was way too much work. I thought I would be smart when I installed my 2m antenna and mounted it above the rear a/c controls. It took me 4 or 5 hours to get the coax ran down the "B" pillar and under the drivers seat. Good antenna installs are not fun at all.
You'r right. I pulled that figure out of thin air.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
It's not like it really hurts the resale value of the vehicle.
These rubber plugs look pretty professional and they're waterproof if anyone decides to remove the antenna and sell the vehicle.
View attachment 22253
I have passed on buying vehicles that had plugs in body work. Cash in hand stayed there and left with cash intact. Plugs deteriorate with time and then start to leak. I won't buy any car or truck that has visible plugs.

I've plugged many a roof hole and never had an issue. My dad drilled holes in every car he bought, can't recall any problems. Seal the hole correctly and you should have no problems. I had a guy ask me one time what the doo dad plug was. I told him and he said OK. If someone tried to ding me on the plug by wanting to knock money off the price, then I'd give a ten dollar discount.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
To me it is just a personal preference. I don't want my vehicle to have been drilled because I would not. If you like it that's fine because it is your choice. I had one car that had one hole in the center of the roof and a little more than a month and the head liner dropped and made my car look like sh--. That was one of my T-birds it was a great looking car up to that point. I took it to a paint and body shop and had the hole patched and roof painted and new head liner installed. It was not just because a hole was drilled but the headliner had been opened and closed multiple times before I owned it. The only holes I drilled for an antenna mount was on my old dodge Carry-all for Co-phased 102" whips with springs. The truck was so damn ugly it did not matter.

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated