• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power on issues 857D.

aeneimia

Mar 24, 2013
US
After modifying an 857d for full expanded tx, I have an issue with powering on the radio. What happens is, after pushing the power button the radio clicks and clicks until you disconnect the power cable. Then you have to disconnect the HF antenna cable to get it to power on like normal. Once its powered on and all is hooked up the radio works perfect with the exp tx mod other than the tone that it makes when pushing any keys on the face, it sounds different. Why you need to disconnect the antenna cable is bit of a concern to me.
The radio is brand new and the mod looks just like the one posted here for the us version.. The pads look precise as the ones in the pics so not sure if i am missing something or if it could be a voltage issue with power. You would think this would be the issue prior to the mod.. 13.6v 7amps is the power supplied,a little weak for whats recommended but should be fine to power it on.

any feedback on this would be great..

aeneimia

I did the MARS mod to an 857D (I really was a MARS member) and the radio did not display the symptoms you describe. When you mod a radio you take that chance.

Make sure you do not have solder "bled" off anywhere but where it belongs.

Try taking a high resolution picture of the jumpers you soldered and post them here

Its all right for now. I use it at home so stays on most of the time and dont have to worry bout it.. seems to do fine, works perfect other than the power on issue. I have looked at the solder pads with 8x magnification and all look ok. And as far as the amps I posted that wrong is a 10 amp 12 amp surge thats running it.. seems to tx fine.. FTL-Meter shows perfect power on all bands. I realize a bigger power supply is recommended and definitely needed. Has anyone ever used one of those power cubes: 25amp- 30amp surge type power supplies from ebay for $57.00? Just wondering if they are worth the time..

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Has anyone ever used one of those power cubes: 25amp- 30amp surge type power supplies from ebay for $57.00? Just wondering if they are worth the time..

Not sure which supply you're referring to (post a link), but based on the price, I'm guessing it's not the right supply for the job. Be leery of really cheap switching supplies - they will introduce so much noise in your receiver it will render the radio useless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated