• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Himalaya WB

Only 1 local that i know of has the Himalaya WB, it replaced his gainmaster that snapped above the choke housing in not so high winds,
The Himalaya is lower & not in the same place so we are still guessing how they compare, My local likes his.

reading feedback from owners, some people like the Himalaya while others claim they are deaf as a post..

The two coils you are talking about look like springer style mobile antennas with bayonet quick release adaptors.

The question is how will it be installed, Himalayan spiderplane ? 1/4wave coax trick ? isolated ?,
or just throw it up on a conductive mast & hope you have no cmc issues,

Looking at the WB's vswr curve it has a double dip in the curve like gainmaster 5/8 & x-pole though not as pronounced it has wider bandwith with low vswr,

what we need is strong winds to test them & maybe get a look inside the Himalaya WB
This will be mounted via a new method for me personally. The spider plane is not streamline enough in high winds and gets smashed about plus the radials are not long enough. I'm building a new telescopic mast as you know Bob85 and the Himalaya will be mounted to my 33mm inner part of the mast but with a new untried method. The inner mast that the antenna is connected to is roughly 20 feet long, 8.5 feet of this will be cut off and an isolation pole fitted between the 8.5 feet section and the remaining 11.5 feet. The isolator will be 2 feet long which will increase the total length of the pole to 22 feet and will be inserted 6 inches into each side of the pole so that the isolation pole will be a total of 3 feet long. Now, assuming the feed point of the Himalaya is 12 inches from the matching coil just like the Antron 99, when the Himalaya is bolted to the 8.5 feet isolated part of the pole then I'll be left with a half wave over a quarter wave (the quarter wave being isolated from the rest of the mast).
The coax will naturally re-couple the upper portion of the mast to the lower portion through capacitive coupling which presents another problem. I'm aiming to cut out that problem by winding a choke 8.5 feet down from the feed point of the antenna so that the choke is level with the base of the isolated quarter wave. I'm also planning to add some ferrite clamps just underneath the choke to make sure I deal with common mode current. Should be interesting to see how it performs.
Eddie, I believe the matching section of the Himalaya will be similar to the Antron 99 with a device which plays around with the inductance and capacitance of a tuning coil. Perhaps they have built in rings similar the Antron 99 but with a capacitor between the rings and the driven element to wide band it somewhat. We don't know till we get one apart.

Attachments

• mast.jpg
    mast.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 16

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.