• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President HR2510 troubles!

tracker1962

Sep 1, 2010
Hi all. New to this forum. By what I have read tonight, here might be the place where I can get some good advice.
I have an old President HR2510 that was made in Taiwan before they were reportedly moved to China to mfg.? Don't know if this makes any difference on my question?
This thing has about 80 hrs. of use on it and then stored indoors very carefully for many years.
I now turn it on and the display lights up but there is nothing on the display.
There is a final (transistor) mounted to the chassis on the left hand side 1/3 way from the front and it gets warm fairly quickly just by turning the radio on with out Xmiting.
The inside is super clean and can't see anything evident.
Any ideas?
Hope I posted in the right section? If not mods please move post.
Thank you all in advance,, tracker.

Welcome to the forum.
This subject comes up often, have a look here.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-radios/59817-lincoln-hr2510-defective.html
And you can also use the "search" function On the tool bar at the top of the forum, search for "hr2510"
The Glue that is used to hold down the Voltage regulators on the CPU board in a lot of the older radios can dry out and become conductive, and /or damage the very fine copper traces below the glue.
Power down the radio, unhook it, pull the covers, and very carefully "lift" the regulators loose from where they are glued down on the CPU board, and again carefully, pick the old glue away from the board looking for damage to the traces under the glue. Use a wooden skewer or plastic pick something that will not cause damage to the traces on the surface of the board.
In quite a few of these older radio`s, just breaking the reg`s loose from the glue will bring them back to life.
Let us know how you make out. There is a Member here, Rogerbird, He is The Man on these radio`s, the HR2510/HR2600/LINCOLN...if you need help, he is the "go to Guy" for these radios.

jeff

Thanks AudioShockwav.
I have done some reading and don't seem to find anyone with that final heating up so quickly, will read some more!!
This radio barely has any glue in it, 2 Caps that are in good shape on the underside and for the lack of words or knowledge, on 2 donut shaped ceramic coils which seem fragile in nature on the top board?
Yes, I was reading Rogerbirds posts. I surely could upload some pics if needed.
The glue is tan brown!!
The small bottom board is dated 1988 uniden. HCT-58NY 94V-0
tracker.

Last edited:
The Finals in the Hr 2510/2600 radio`s are mounted in the rear of the radio ( final, Q132/ driver,Q133) IC 107 (That I think you are calling a final) Is Mounted on the Left side rail of the radio. It is also a voltage regulator, it will get warm during operation...it should not get HOT, but it is bolted to the chassis to sink the heat it produces during operation.
The Voltage reg`s referred to are on the CPU/PLL-Board and are almost always secured to the board with the glue.
The CPU drives the LCD Display from pins number 1 thru 5, but if the reg`s are shorted due to the glue, the radio will not function.
As said in the other thread, Capacitors that have become old and non functioning are a common problem in these and for that fact any radio that is getting on in years and/or has been stored for quite a while.
Yes pictures can help, and also, is the unit "hearing anything?
As in the other post, do you hear an increase in the rx noise level when an antenna is attached?

Jeff

Attached are a few pictures. Sorry for the watermark as I got this program in a snap as I don't have much need to resize pictures.
#1575edit; shows the voltage regulator? after 20 seconds or so of powering up, the screw that fastens it gets so hot that I can't keep my finger on it!
#1579; shows the only place that there is glue in this particular radio.
#1581; is the bottom side.
#1582; is a close up of the voltage regulator that gets really hot.
#1584; is a pic between the 2 boards.

AudioShockwav, as far as hearing, yesterday it would hear on FM only.
Today I hooked it up to my 2 meter antenna (all thats up right now) and with the squelch opened up, I could not hear anything.
If I can't get this fixed, would anyone know where in Canada I could send it to get serviced even though it's been modded for 10 meter.
tracker

Attachments

• DSCF1575edit.jpg
    DSCF1575edit.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF1579.jpg
    DSCF1579.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF1581.jpg
    DSCF1581.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF1582.jpg
    DSCF1582.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF1584.jpg
    DSCF1584.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 75
The Third Picture from the top, the "Tray" that holds the little board that has the CPU and associated parts on it, Look at the 3 legged IC`s.. There are two of them..see how they are held down to the PC board with the glue?
These are the Reg`s that I am talking about....... if the glue has become slightly conductive, and they are providing a high resistance path to ground, it could be helping with overloading the first Reg going into the radio.
This will also prevent the reg`s on the CPU Board from working properly, as well as it could have damaged the traces below the glue its self.
I would start with carefully lifting these reg`s away from the glue/board and see if the radio will power up with a display, if not, then, again working carefully, pick the glue away from any traces below the glue. Get a good Magnifying glass and very closely inspect any traces under the glue to see if they have been damaged.
The Glue around the output section of the radio looks nasty as well and should be carefully removed, but the problem you are having with the display not working is not back there.....
I do not know of any one up north that works on these radio, I do know that Rogerbird is very good with them, and I have heard that Doc`s is also good.
Last I contacted Rogerbird this was his e mail
Rogerbird1@netscape.net
He also stops here on the forum from time to time to offer his help with these radio`s

Jeff

Sorry, the third picture down,, the wire which seems like is glue is actually a wire that was taped off with tape during the 10 meter mod.
I see that you would think it was glue, but no glue is present there.
In 1989 mods were done in a different way. Not the best mind you but knowledge of the day!!
The only glue, what little of it is in this radio is on the back top side main board.
2 caps and 2 ferrite donuts, a drop, dropped off on the way out to the back right hand side.
This radio is clean, clean, clean and has a very low serial number as I pre-purchased it before they came on the market.
I appreciate all your help.
I have a friend from Northern N.Y. coming to visit me soon.
Maybe I will ship it off with him and see if Roger or Doc can look at it.
I AM NOT,, giving up on my HR!!
tracker

the wire which seems like is glue is actually a wire that was taped off with tape
No that is not what i am talking about.
On the PC board, The Small board, that is in the tray above the main board, not on the main board of the radio itself, but on the board that has the CPU on it, there are 2 IC`s, they a 3 terminal Voltage regulators, If you look at them very closely, they are held down to the board with a drop of glue, in fact, if you look at the hole in the tab of the ic`s ( where a screw is used to mount them in other applications) you can see the glue and it looks like it has turned dark brown.
This is what I am talking about. I have seen many of these radio`s and the regs are almost Always held down with glue.
Take a close up picture of just the board that is mounted in the tray that you had to lift up to show the underside of the board.....that board, inside the tray is the one that has the CPU on it...it controls the radio.

Yes indeed Jeff, you are correct!
There seems to be 2 way tape under them with a drop of glue.
Is there a thread you can point me to that would talk about how to clean them up? (rubbing alcohol, tools to use, un-solder the transistor or just stand them up, etc...)
Thanks, tracker.

Well cleaned up the glue, well it was really 2 sided tape and cleaned the board.
All looks good. The glue is still behind IC311 & IC312 but I don't see any harm with that as it's at the top of the IC's.
Checking other things that was suggested by Rogerbird in another post but
with the chip mounted the left side getting so hot and so fast, I'm thinking that it might be a little more than what's in the other post that I'm reading.
tracker.

Well spoke to "Doc" today and he's pretty confident, without looking at the radio of course, that changing C60 & C75 will do the trick.
He feels that these caps are what is causing the voltage regulator getting so hot and quickly.
Purchased the caps today and when I get it done, I will report my findings in order to help others in the future if this works because with the regulator getting so hot, a puff of smoke is going to come out of it and no other testing will be done. (We all know you can't put the smoke back in LOL).
Hopefully the display will return as well? If not then at least that is fixed and can follow documentation on other threads here to look for other things.
Wish me luck. Thanks Doc!
tracker.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueBeam
Well changed C60 and C75 yesterday.
Doc was right of course as it solved the extreme heat problem on the voltage regulator that is mounted the left side chassis.
RX came back.
At least now, testing can be done without burning out that regulator.
IC 312 and the three diodes near it check out alright.
Now maybe change C95 and C97?
The 4 caps on the small processor board that are known to go bad and maybe the ones on the display board as well as there is still no display.
Thank You for the replies.
The radio is now at my friends place as he has better equipment and more experience.
So will do what we found here in the threads and will be back if I need more help.
tracker.

Cool Beans, Some guys will go as far as replacing all of the electrolytic caps in a complete restoration, a lot of work, but it prevents another one going bad later and having to start the track down process all over again.
I would still suggest lifting the regs on the CPU board and carefully cleaning out under them. That glue is well known for eating through the traces or shorting out the regs....it may seem like a small spot of glue could not cause a problem....but it has been known to do it.

Jeff

Reactions: Robb
Thanks for the reply Jeff.
Pulled the regs. up last week, cleaned up and all is good there after visuals and tests.
As far as changing all the caps, my buddy was asking me if I knew of a kit they put together for that purpose. That's what he wanted to do as he has many years of electronic parts replacement in an professional work environment and could do it quickly.
With the great advise on this site,, he will get it working thanks to all the members here offering advise and adding useful info in their posts!! And may I say, a most friendly and non condensing return to those that ask as they don't know, and want to learn. Will add results to help others.
tracker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated