• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

president madison vs uniden madison

zebbman

Aug 27, 2010
can anyone tell me if the receive is any different on the 858 pll president than it is on the 8719. im only concerned with the receive portion. i have a nice opportunity to pick up the old president but if it receives like the washington i dont want it...thanks

can anyone tell me if the receive is any different on the 858 pll president than it is on the 8719. im only concerned with the receive portion. i have a nice opportunity to pick up the old president but if it receives like the washington i dont want it...thanks

The receivers are basically the same.....probably the best of all CBs. If you like a boatload of extra channels the D858 chip is what you want.

Reactions: midnight special
Well I own the Old President Washington with the 858 and the newer Uniden Washington both and the receive is much quieter and better sounding on the old style. just sayin.

i found the old 858 one a better am rig with louder modulation on both am and ssb but i got weird images on the receiver when 2 close stations ffrom other channels mixed together. the am receiver tone on the 8719 is muffled but the ssb tone seems richer and no images so i like the 8719 better for ssb and the 858 better for am. but why have a ssb rig if your going to talk am? i allways thought it would look cool to have both side by side and use the 5858 for am the 8719 for ssb

thanks for the replies. im gonna buy then. im not a power kinda guy but receive is what i want in a radio. i have the newer madison now and i would hate to downgrade....as long as its not like the muffled noise that comes out of the washington im happy. i have tried everything to make my washington better but at the end of the day it sits on the shelf wishing it could be like the madison...im not to concerned with extra channels but its good to know thats an option. i have multiple mic options at my disposal but im partial to the turner plus 3 and my expander 500. dont tell the neighbors but i just dont like astatic mics even though i have a few. like i said receive is most important. good clean quiet receive. as long as it will be like my current madison and my 2000 i will be happy as can be. again my thanks

i should clarify, i had the washingtons not the madisons. the madison 8719 is the same guts as the cobra 2000 so the am will sound excellent on receive. that one i did have and loved it. one rig i wish i had kept

i have the 8719. im asking about the 858 receive compared to the 8719...i hear its as good as the 2000 gtl but i need to know that for sure. or even reasonably close. i havent found better that the 8719 madison...i just want to make sure it doesnt sound anything the receive on the washington...thats way to muffled through the stock speaker

i have the 8719. im asking about the 858 receive compared to the 8719...i hear its as good as the 2000 gtl but i need to know that for sure. or even reasonably close. i havent found better that the 8719 madison...i just want to make sure it doesnt sound anything the receive on the washington...thats way to muffled through the stock speaker

So long as the 858 has been aligned, it should be better than the 8719/2000. Question is: did you consider sending to a shop for a complete alignment? Think I would have rather done that than just buying another radio that probably also needs aligning.

If you have an Uniden chassis radio with the 858, it is worth the time get it fully aligned. And I don't mean a 'tune and peak' either; not the same thing or result. Even go as far as to have it re-capped first for best results. Might cost $80-100 for new caps and $40 for a full alignment; but the results are excellent. If you go to sell it; it will be worth more than those that haven't been re-capped. Someone will want it if they know what they are looking at.

So long as the 858 has been aligned, it should be better than the 8719/2000.
really? why you say that? i haven't found a better board then the 8719 2000/148/grant/madisson for sensitivity, nb, sound quality, bleedover and reliability. i never had an 858 radio that didnt get images on receive

Reactions: 1 person
first before this goes astray maybe you didnt read my post before your reply. i have a madison 8719 that works great. i want to buy a madison with an 858. that said i want to know if there is a difference in receive from one to the other. lets pretend they are both perfectly alligned...not talking about my radios which by the way is alligned and recapped. i just want an opinion on the receive on both of these...

Based on my experiences with both boards, and having both the President (D858 AM/SSB board) and the Uniden Washington (MB8719 single AM conversion board) along with the Cobra 2000 GTL (MB8719 dual AM conversion board), I prefer the D858 chassis for sensitivity, as both my President Washington and Teaberry Stalker II can RX a signal down to .32uV (.32 microvolts). Both the MB8719 boards drop RX at about 3uV (3 microvolts).

However, provided that you do not do the NB/ANL mod for the D858 chassis, the MB8719 boards do have better NB/ANL filtering.

For me, at least where I live adjacent channel rejection on the D858's and the MB8719's are very close, not enough of a difference for me to choose one over the other. I don't have any issues with my D858 boards being muffled in any mode.

It's really just a matter of preference. You go with what you like. (y)

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated