• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley plus KL-60

Fishmongerjoe

Nov 5, 2017
Hey there,

Just getting back to the CB world after about a 10 year hiatus. Current rig is a cobra 29 tuned by DTB in Carlisle, PA and a Wilson 1k mag mount. The radio talks and listens I have no complaints. However I want side band capability, and after some research I’ve decided on a President McKinley. Ordered through amazon and should be here Thursday. I’m excited.

In my excitement I found a small amp that I thought might pair well with the new radio and bought it as well. The KL60. Now for my question. I saw on a YouTube vid someone had mated a radio and a small amp so they shared a power supply. This is a mod that interests me. I’d like to be able to use the radio in my truck and pull it out and connect to a base setup as well.

I have a radio shop near me that I have used a to calibrate an antenna and re-wire a mic. The tech did a fine job and everything works as it should, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to get out of the friend zone and have him do this work. Is this a huge job that could be easily botched or am I worrying too much?

Hey there,

Just getting back to the CB world after about a 10 year hiatus. Current rig is a cobra 29 tuned by DTB in Carlisle, PA and a Wilson 1k mag mount. The radio talks and listens I have no complaints. However I want side band capability, and after some research I’ve decided on a President McKinley. Ordered through amazon and should be here Thursday. I’m excited.

In my excitement I found a small amp that I thought might pair well with the new radio and bought it as well. The KL60. Now for my question. I saw on a YouTube vid someone had mated a radio and a small amp so they shared a power supply. This is a mod that interests me. I’d like to be able to use the radio in my truck and pull it out and connect to a base setup as well.

I have a radio shop near me that I have used a to calibrate an antenna and re-wire a mic. The tech did a fine job and everything works as it should, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to get out of the friend zone and have him do this work. Is this a huge job that could be easily botched or am I worrying too much?
If the KL60 is an external unit you are worrying too much. I don't think the KL60 will work on SSB very well. It might be a "Class C" amplifier. It might be a "Class B" at best. The KL-203 would be a better choice.
http://cbradio.nl/rm/ServiceManual_RM_KL60_ENG_ITA.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishmongerjoe
Another member and I both run the McKinley with a KL203 with excellent results. I would suggest the KL203 over the KL60 as it will offer more output and will make a much larger difference in your TX distance.

The KL203 will give you over 100W on AM and sideband and that number is perfect for getting out further locally and making long-distance contacts.

When pairing the KL203 with the McKinley - on SSB you can run full power output, on AM you want to make sure you key around 1W carrier (no modulation) into the amp which should give you about 30-40W output on the amp.

Your wilson 1000 antenna should work great for that combo as long as your SWR is low. If you're adding an amp I'd highly recommend buying a good SWR/power meter.

If you're looking to use the combo on a base as well - pick up a Megawatt power supply and an Imax 2000. http://cbradiomagazine.com/Accessory Reviews/Mega Watt S-400-12 Power Supply/Mega Watt S-400-12 Power Supply.html

You can power that radio and amp with that power supply and it's very small. The Imax is a great basic vertical antenna.

For moving that combo around - you can buy a small box (they make they for truckers or you can make your own) that you can mount the radio and amp in - then you can run power wires for the amp and the radio to a block - or just use twist caps with some larger gauge wire and then solder on some anderson power poles quick disconnects. Then add the other half of the anderson power pole to the wires on the power supply. You can have this setup in the car and then unscrew the coax/disconnect the power and carry the box inside and plug it into the power supply and screw in your coax and it can work for the vehicle and home. I did this for a couple of years at one point. The anderson power poles work great for quick disconnect - I used them in all of my setups. Just make sure your power wires are double the size of the radio/amp wires so they can draw enough power.

Last edited:
I run the McKinley and KL-203 just great. I adjusted my AM deadkey to a hair above 1w and with amp it deadkeys about 25w and swings up very nice. No audio complaints. The nice part is it can adjust from the front thru the button combo.. Make sure you lock it in though before using amp hooked up..

Talked to GA and FL today on ch. 28 AM just fine.. And also 38 LSB with it as well to San Antonio TX last week. I am using in my pickup with a 5' Firestik on the back quarter panel..very happy with radio and 203 pairing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog and Tallman
Thanks for the replies. Seems like I’m either trading or selling the KL60. I think I may see what kind of performance I can get out of it and set it up in a temporary fashion. Once I get the kL 203 I make the mod something more permanent.

How does the Imax2000 do in wind? I live near the coast and we get regular wind events such as nor’easters and typical summer squalls etc. it’s not uncommon for winds to blow 30 knots plus for over a week and storms that pack 50 knot plus winds happen several times a year. Plus we get an occasion brush with hurricanes.

I’m thinking I need something that is either able to withstand a decent amount of wind or something that is easy to raise or lower by a single person. I was thinking a system similar to an outrigger on a boat? Any suggestions?

I run the McKinley and KL-203 just great. I adjusted my AM deadkey to a hair above 1w and with amp it deadkeys about 25w and swings up very nice. No audio complaints. The nice part is it can adjust from the front thru the button combo.. Make sure you lock it in though before using amp hooked up..

Talked to GA and FL today on ch. 28 AM just fine.. And also 38 LSB with it as well to San Antonio TX last week. I am using in my pickup with a 5' Firestik on the back quarter panel..very happy with radio and 203 pairing.

Great little amp for sure. Got mine mated with either a Uniden 980 or President Grant and it definitely helps to make dx or local contacts much easier.

Who did you talk to in San Antonio? I am from there although I'm only home 2-3 days a week. I talk to many of the locals when I can.

I live on the gulf coast, and many people around me run what they call a "Push-'em-up" pole, they are made in various lengths and can come down fairly easily, one pin and one section at a time, the pipe is telescopic so when not extended the top sections rest inside the base.
31QMs0PWJzL._SY300_.jpg

The rings are pre-drilled for guy-wires, which you may or may not need if you don't extend the pipe beyond one section, the guy wires are the trickiest part about bringing an antenna down with this setup.

Or you could design something like this:
http://qrznow.com/build-a-25-50-free-standing-tilt-then-crank-up-tower-antenna/

How does the Imax2000 do in wind? I live near the coast and we get regular wind events such as nor’easters and typical summer squalls etc. it’s not uncommon for winds to blow 30 knots plus for over a week and storms that pack 50 knot plus winds happen several times a year. Plus we get an occasion brush with hurricanes.

I’m thinking I need something that is either able to withstand a decent amount of wind or something that is easy to raise or lower by a single person. I was thinking a system similar to an outrigger on a boat? Any suggestions?
My imax is 61 ft to base 85 ft to tip. Had some 50-60 mph gusts this past summer and it withstood it no problem... This one is about 2 yrs old. I had one 20 yrs ago at about the same hight and it didn't fair as well. It broke at the bottom of the second section and folded over. Don't know if they have improved the design or not but no problem with this one.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I’m either trading or selling the KL60. I think I may see what kind of performance I can get out of it and set it up in a temporary fashion. Once I get the kL 203 I make the mod something more permanent.

The KL60 is a low low drive amp. Maybe 1-1.5 watt dead key input on AM and 8-10 peak watts and/or 8-10 pep on SSB. You might see 45-50 watts on a good day. As already stated the KL203 would be a much better choice.

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.