• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Procomm PAT12 base antenna

I need a patio table and a couple chairs for the back yard anyway. I'm going to buy one of those umbrella tables, you know the ones with the hole in the center for a shade umbrella.

Do this. Find an umbrella with a good span when open. Attach wires underneath the umbrella with zip ties to every one of the umbrella ribs. Thi is your ground plane. Use a 102" steel whip as your vertical mounted to the center of your umbrella. Coax braid goes to all the umbrella GP wires, center coax conductor to the whip. You screw in your whip, open the umbrella, and talk. Close the umbrella, unscrew the whip, and your put away. You can even use a piece of pipe for the whip, anything conductive that you can mount.
Stealthy, and useful, antenna.

Well messed around with stuff some more. I was trying the wilson on the roof of my truck and the MM9 behind the cab. Best I could get with the MM9 was 1.8-2.2 (2.2 on 40) behind the cab this time. This was just raising and lowering the whip a smidge, without cutting anything yet.

The wilson 1000 mag mount was 1.3 on channel 1 and 1.1 on 40. On 80 it was even better on channel 120 was about 1.6 I think, higher channels than 120 kept getting higher which is normal. The high 29 Mgz end was in the red, which I would expect but I never transmit on those freqs anyway. Channels below 1 didn't take long for the swrs' to start going south quick, which makes sense. Upper 24 Mgz whoo who. Damn needle almost went to the CAL mark LOL, not good but I don't talk on those freqs either.

When I got home I threw the wilson up on the gutter again. This time my readings were exactlly the same as on the roof of my truck 1.1-1.3 (1.3 on 40). I don't know how that worked out. I guess an apartment gutter is a decent ground?? I checked the SWR's with a walkie talkie since I haven't bought a power supply yet but I'm guessing the SWR's should be about the same with the mobile radio.

I wish I had a mag mount base mount so I could have tried my MM9 on the roof. Would love to find out what I can get the SWR's down to on the roof.

20 years ago I use to run a 102" and spring on the roof of my truck. It Got out amazing with a SSB Galaxy and Sadelta echo/power mic but a 102" on this truck isn't a pool I want to dive into. I wouldn't put a 102" anywhere on my truck. I would have to say from what i remember about the 102" and this wilson, they get out about the same. If there was any difference between them, it wasn't much. Certantly not enough differance to mount such a huge antenna. I still think a 102" works better than anything else but been there done that.

So many options. I will probablly be playing musical antennas for a while and end up with a small collection of bases, mounts and antennas LOL. Oh well that's what hobbies are for.

Well messed around with stuff some more. I was trying the wilson on the roof of my truck and the MM9 behind the cab. Best I could get with the MM9 was 1.8-2.2 (2.2 on 40) behind the cab this time. This was just raising and lowering the whip a smidge, without cutting anything yet.

The wilson 1000 mag mount was 1.3 on channel 1 and 1.1 on 40. On 80 it was even better on channel 120 was about 1.6 I think, higher channels than 120 kept getting higher which is normal. The high 29 Mgz end was in the red, which I would expect but I never transmit on those freqs anyway. Channels below 1 didn't take long for the swrs' to start going south quick, which makes sense. Upper 24 Mgz whoo who. Damn needle almost went to the CAL mark LOL, not good but I don't talk on those freqs either.

When I got home I threw the wilson up on the gutter again. This time my readings were exactlly the same as on the roof of my truck 1.1-1.3 (1.3 on 40). I don't know how that worked out. I guess an apartment gutter is a decent ground?? I checked the SWR's with a walkie talkie since I haven't bought a power supply yet but I'm guessing the SWR's should be about the same with the mobile radio.

I wish I had a mag mount base mount so I could have tried my MM9 on the roof. Would love to find out what I can get the SWR's down to on the roof.

20 years ago I use to run a 102" and spring on the roof of my truck. It Got out amazing with a SSB Galaxy and Sadelta echo/power mic but a 102" on this truck isn't a pool I want to dive into. I wouldn't put a 102" anywhere on my truck. I would have to say from what i remember about the 102" and this wilson, they get out about the same. If there was any difference between them, it wasn't much. Certantly not enough differance to mount such a huge antenna. I still think a 102" works better than anything else but been there done that.

So many options. I will probablly be playing musical antennas for a while and end up with a small collection of bases, mounts and antennas LOL. Oh well that's what hobbies are for.

goto customcbradios.com and checkout the tram tri pad it will hold the mm9
on the roof. i know people that use it for a 102 on the roof also..lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated