• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pulsar 2 element Beam?

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
This antenna photo showed up on a couple of sites I am a member of. The discussion centered around two things- 1. Have you seen this?, 2. Does it work as advertised?

It is advertised to be a portable 11 meter beam.

I entered the first discussion because one of the forum members emailed me asking whether I would be willing to make one and test it to answer the questions of its true nature.

I told the second forum that I had said I would do this when I got some time.

I'm inviting the WWRF in on the fun.

antenna1.jpg

antenna_pulsar_cb.jpg

So far:

quotes from other places:

"I used copper tubing to put one together based on the posted specs. Until I get it out in the open air and coax on it I can't be sure, but suspended in the garage with a short jumper it does not approach a readable SWR on any frequency. I can not tell by any of the drawings whether there is more to the antenna than as described in previous posts. More to come with photos."

"Ok, I put it on a step ladder and hooked up the analyzer. Details later.
I also hooked up a small AM radio and listened, and got a radio check from a truck driver on ch 19: video to come of that.

It has an atrocious SWR, and the X=0 resonance is elsewhere.
Photos and more comments to come. I am due at work in 10 minutes."

F0399.jpg

"I want to add that I believe this antenna may have potential in a limited way.
I have used copper tubing because I wanted to reuse it for another project when done with this.
I have most of the aluminum strap to go exactly to the materials specs and will get the remaining piece to do it up and see. . ."

"Two quick photos and a video link to the first on-air test.

Where it shows X=0 resonance:
"

F0404.jpg

"Where the supposed center frequency is supposed to be - not quite there in this model:
"

F0406.jpg

"And a video link of the first test:
"

In Touch - 2el Miniature Pulsar Antenna Homebrew

This one didn't get any traction here, and that's ok. It doesn't really deserve any.
It was something I was asked to do, and I did. so here's the last of it.

Ok. The latest, and despite my previous commitment to redo the thing to exact materials specs, perhaps my last.
Redoing it to the exact specs was an extension of my belief that the antenna might have some possibilities as a portable system.
That was based on some encouraging results and the video with a decent radio check I recorded.
Of course, on some of the forums I said I did not believe it was a beam, and still don't. It is a dipole, off center fed. The feed system settles that - braid to one half the antenna, center conductor to the other. Simple.

Today I decided to test a thought that occurred to me based on experience with other types of shortened antennas, NGPs (no ground plane) in particular. Those antennas have a single thing in common - they depend on the coax to be part of the radiating system. To test this idea I mounted the antenna just as before, but this time I inserted a coax choke one foot from the connection point of the feed line to the antenna to defeat any potential CMC, and thus prevent the coax from being a radiating element.

Just as I suspected, anything remotely resembling a match, or resonance across multiple bands wasn't happening for me. It is my opinion that this antenna depends on the coax to be part of the radiator.

Here is my personal conclusion:

Can it be used as a portable antenna on 11 meters?

Yes, but you must be careful of the coax length in order to get a match. Is there a special length to be used? I doubt it. Just so there is enough to get the job done should do. Too short a coax will not provide enough length to radiate at the 11 meters band. I suspect that conductive surfaces near it will likely affect it.

Is the antenna a beam? No. It's a dipole - a split element, off center fed dipole.

Should one buy one? If they wish. It isn't useless, and could be fun. It certainly doesn't use too much space as many 11 meter antennas tend to do.

Would I buy one? Of course not, I already have one. ;)

Considering the special materials it requires, a great deal of time fussing with it, and the fact that these loops are going to have a hard time keeping a fair semblance of the required dimensions, one would be better off in every way just to construct a simple dipole and be done with it. As far as a quick emergency or portable antenna is concerned.

IOW; the Pulsar antenna isn't practical if it isn't easy to get a usable result - compared to a dipole.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.