• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Push up poles?

Kevalar or dacron rope work very well for guys. Make them just a fuzz loose. Not tight like a banjo string. The kevalar and dacron rope is very strong and take the UV very well. I use sevants to hold the rope and it works great!

switch, with the length, not weight ups wont ship a 50ft pole. that means freight, add for a call to deliver, add for residential and its actualy like 174 and change.

do a price quote befor you order one.

Reactions: Slowmover
I am thinking of buying a Rohn H30 or H40 Help...

I am looking to purchase either the Rohn H30 or H40 model this weekend. I plan on picking it up at R and L electronics because its just about an hour drive.

I do not have the ability to install or climb a tower and this looks like an option for me. I will no longer will have a tree to hang my antenna next month or so.

My question is:
What are the pros and cons for the push up mast?

Thanks!

Geekster,
The 'Pro's are that they are usually cheaper than a tower. The 'Con's are that they are not exactly the most stable things in the world. Guying is a very, very good idea! Not just at the top, but every 10 feet or so (yeah, lots of guys, but not much chance of falling as with out them). Usually, not a big deal if the guys are EHS wire instead of the synthetic stuff, cheaper too. (Why not make the guys into antennas too?) They do require a firm base.
I'd much rather have a tower, but... A pole will 'do' in most cases.
- 'Doc

I would not run more than a Imax from one. I have one 36 ft high guyed at top and 10 ft down from there with a Pogo stick on it. Its about the size of a A99. Used Dacron rope and it works great. Im up on a ridge and catch lots of wind. I use sevants for the ends of the guys and this works great. They are brass bolts that are sloted down the middle. Have lots of holding power.

I have a Maco Comet on one (from Lowes) which has been up for over a year. As stated before....guy wires or ropes is a must. The weakest part of the telecopic mast is the top section....it's kind of thin walled and will bend in high winds. The advantage is; if you know ahead of time that high winds are on the way, you can lower it down. With the Comet and rotor being heavy compared to an Imax or Antron, I don't put the top section of pipe up all the way. Sooner or later, I'll put my tower up and won't have to worry that wind. Also make sure you get those locking levers tight on each section, or you'll start seeing more and more slack in those guy wires. They come with pins that will lock them in place, I just don't use them because I do lower mine down from time to time.

Bobcat said:
I'm curious about these. Where can you get them? ( I have browsed antenna areas on a number of web sites and I cant find them.... perhaps I dont know where to look!) Are they worth having in the first place? Push Up implies that you can loosen, raise, tthen tighten. Assuming this is true, what is the lowered length and the raised length? How high can they go without guying?(for this one assume that it might be bracketed to the house at 10'(back of the house) or about 17' ( front side of the house). I hope all this rambling makes sense... and thanks.

Bob
This is what I use....... strong stuff
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Heavy-Aluminu...oryZ4672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a 36 foot rohn pushup witha maco m104 and a I max on top of that.Lol .Been up for 6 months.Has many dacron ropes on it.Waiting to spring to put up my 72 foot crankup.

Picked up the Rohn H40 at R&L Electronics last Saturday. I don't see the justification of the $180 shipping.

The antenna was long, but I could fit it inside my SUV with no problems. The construction was more sturdy than I had imagined. Too bad we had all the snow over the weekend...

This will be for my A99 or a 2meter 440CM (4ft vertical). I haven't decided just yet. I also picked up one of those YO-YO Deluxe antennas for my portable setup.

:roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.