• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Put up a Hustler 5BTV today

Another interesting comparison...
Now running the endfeed as an inverted "L" with part being Vertical and rest Horz, across the top of the camper and using the frame as a counterpoise may be an option you can explore...You could run some PVC tubing for the vertical section for support or a fiberglass telescoping mast...( just thinking as a way to not look so obvious) and with a non-conductive or insulated from mast on opposite end of the camper(your existing pole) could be a good set-up that would not have to removed when not in-use and work well.
FR is using a MFJ choke that seems to be working for him to reduce noise on some bands that may be a good addition also.
Getting that balun grounded on the endfeed is a must (IMHO) and tied together on a ground rod along with the frame of the camper should help also(short runs of good braid if possible) remember if using a outboard tuner this needs tied to the frame also(again short as possible distance)...These are all things that can be explored.

http://www.mgs4u.com/additional-push-up-mast-photo-2.htm

Keep experimenting or trying...you'l make it work for you.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
338 it was something like this guy did only off the back on the hitch I think .

I wouldn't mount it like the guy did in the first video. Far too much mast parallel to the lower section and far too close to the trailer. It may have worked but certainly there was room to improve the performance. Then again for a temporary installation while camping it is convenient and probably fits the bill.
In the second video did I see that guy slide two pieces together and not even clamp or tighten them? o_O Great way to have an intermittent and generate some RFI in the process.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
I might just have to order a 5btv to try out, then I could use the end fed at the house to hide from the hoa when I get another radio.

I guess just overlooked the trapped verticals assuming they weren't even a decent comprise antenna without a hundred miles of radials. I will start a thread if I decide to go that route. Thanks for the ideas

Reactions: binrat
338 I might order one as well the try out with the Motorhome. I already have done pretty well with the Hustler coils mounted tot the top of my ladder on the back. I have made contacts with BJ and his group on 75m with 400 watts and even as low as 100 watts. Now its not as good as my doublet but it starts at 80' sloping to 40' cut for 75m.

How difficult would a 5btv be to tune with an swr meter? My radio budget is about blown, so an analyzer will probably have to wait until next year.

Probably not that hard really. I used an antenna analyzer simply because I had one and it was more convenient to stand out by the antenna and tune it. I bought mine from DX Engineering and they send you other assembly and tuning instructions. I STRONGLY suggest anyone installing a Hustler BTV series antenna to follow those instructions and throw away the included instructions from the manufacturer New Tronics. My antenna tuned right up exactly as detailed in the DXEngineering instructions. You can download those instructions here. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...de-rev0c.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3v1nCZDTrGSgrAG1Jnkl4K

How difficult would a 5btv be to tune with an swr meter? My radio budget is about blown, so an analyzer will probably have to wait until next year.

10-40m, no problem. 80m though is a different story. It is most certainly possible but it'll take a whole lot longer.

Worked on my 5BTV Sunday. Mount is in the ground,mounted the radial plate and assembled and mounted the 5BTV Didn't tune it yet and have to install the radials first. It will match good on 10-15-20-40 will need to work on 80 wip is to long. Great reception. I really need to find a good spot to hang the Alpah Delta.Doing Better on the 5BTV it has great ears.

Worked on my 5BTV Sunday. Mount is in the ground,mounted the radial plate and assembled and mounted the 5BTV Didn't tune it yet and have to install the radials first. It will match good on 10-15-20-40 will need to work on 80 wip is to long. Great reception. I really need to find a good spot to hang the Alpah Delta.Doing Better on the 5BTV it has great ears.

I tuned mine for the 80m DX window around 3780 and had to cut several inches off the whip. I forget just how much because I had to make a couple cuts but I think it was around 10 or 12 inches.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated