• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radioactive Wack Pack Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTB Radio

Sep 14, 2005
Carlisle, PA. USA
www.dtbradio.com
The "Wonders" of WackPack

Ok, I finally got the opportunity to look at an S9 that was Super Wack Packed (according to the little paper sticker seals on the radio). I've included a photo of the Wack Pack itself (basically a PPE mod with no resistor), and of the AM waveform it showed. I've also included a photo of the AM waveform after the diode was removed, and the AMC reset. The waveform photos are not too clear, but they show what needs to be shown. I couldn't seem to get my cam to focus on the 'scope today.... Oh, the vertical calibration is the same in both photos, so you can see that the same voltage level, therefore the same power, is being developed after the pack was removed. The timebase was set differently so I could get a steadiest trace for each waveform.

If this is what they do for a wackpack, then my opinion is that they are complete BS and hype artists, not to mention leaning heavily towards the hack side of the bench. My opinion is based on what I've seen in only 1 radio, so take the opinion with whatever salt quantity you wish. They did NOT disable or modify the AMC/ALC in any way that IC, though.

wackpack1.jpg

wackpack2.jpg

wackpackafterfix.jpg

Two complaints. One, close signals were distorting on his receive, and two, that his transmit audio just didn't seem to be that great. The receive problem didn't show up on the bench, even with 500 watts transmitting into an A99 about 80 feet away from the dummy load to which the S9 was connected. The transmit problem was taken care of when the Wackiness was removed. the customer's exact words upon hearing the increased audio level and carity were "Holy Sh**!!"

The "Wonders" of WackPack

Dave,
Would you think that the people that are doing these kinds of changes to radios don't know how to use a scope?

Maybe they just don't care. All they are looking at is the power meter. I hear these super moded radios everyday splattering all over the band.

Alot of times they really get offended if you try to tell them how bad they sound. Then there will always be some other "driver" come back and tell them how great they sound and that I'm crazy.

It said Super Wack Packed. I didn't think to snap a pic of the paper seal before I opened the radio.

Most of you who frequent this board are more or less familiar with how I measure PEP. Basically, I use a Bird 4314B for a carrier measurement, and a 'scope and computer software for PEP measurement. I don't even bother looking at a meter's PEP readings anymore, with the exception of my Wavenode system when measuring PEP levels over 100 watts or so. I'm not saying my way is the best way, certainly not the only way, but its the method that I find most accurate and reliable within my current test equipment inventory. Maybe I'll invest in one of those $4000.00 1%-accurate PEP meters one day....

Hardhead, that has to be the case. Either that, or they don't have a 'scope to begin with. I actually think that in many cases, some of these shops (especially ones employing techs who have been in the business for more than 10 or 15 years) actually DO know whats going on, but because the average customer doesn't, they push the mods because of the higher needle movement. As much as I dislike someone trying to tune or perform other work without knowing what they're doing and then charging for it, I think the shop that DOES know whats going on, and hacks anyway, is far, far worse. My opinion is that its up to me (and you if you're a tech) as the tech to educate the customer whenever possible, rather than letting them go on with a false understanding.

I almost forgot, when the customer first brought the radio in, he mentioned that he'd purchased it new from Radioactive just 2 months earlier. I hooked his radio up, and he listened to it through a TR696 base that I have hooked to a dummy load in the waiting area. Then I hooked up a Uniden PC68XL that I keep around as a spare and guinea pig, and piped that through the base. The 68 was twice as loud, and a lot clearer. I suggested that he go back to radioactive to complain and try to get some kind of consideration under their warranty, but he indicated that since he worked for a trucking company just across the street from me, he'd rather go ahead and have it corrected right then and there.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
Dave, that is a common problem in the trucking industry. Convience plays a major part in getting a radio tuned. Rather than sending it off or finding a reputable tech, they just get it hacked up by the shop they buy it from or run across on the road. There are a few good shops out there that are convienent to get to with a big truck but they are few and far between

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
radioactive

Jon's posted edited for content by Admin. Post something ON TOPIC without name calling if you don't want it deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated