• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RadioShack Discone Antenna

hdrock

Mar 10, 2008
I just bought a radio shack ,
outdoor scanner/ham discone antenna,Model 20-043,
for $72.99.
Haven't put it up yet,and I can still return it.
I have a BC296D scanner.
1. Is there a better antenna for the price?
2. Doe's anyone know who actually makes this antenna?
3.What ,in your opinion ,is the best scan antenna,any price?

Last edited:

I have run a RS discone for years without losing an element. The trick is to first install stainless nuts on the element rods before threading them into the hub.When you tighten the nuts it places pressure on the threads and they will not loosen up.I suppose you could also use lock-tite. :D

http://gvarc.us/GVARCFrames/Titan/Discone/Discone.htm

RainbowAntenna.jpg

For what it's worth, I didn't have any problems with the one I used to have. I used it primarily as a scanning antenna, but did use it on 2 meters a few times. The 2 meter radio wasn't super thrilled with it, but didn't throw up, or spit either. Can't remember what happened to it.
- 'Doc

:thumbdown: take it back! Mine shed elements even using loc tite and the locking nuts. the threads would just snap. i still have it all the bottom elements have been replace by threaded aluminum rods. it sits on a rack disassembled in the garage for the past 6 years.

Any new updates on this antenna? I recently spotted one at the Rat Shizzack. Have they improved on it in the last few years?

Also how well does this antenna TX and RX on 2 M and 70 CM?

Any new updates on this antenna? I recently spotted one at the Rat Shizzack. Have they improved on it in the last few years?

Also how well does this antenna TX and RX on 2 M and 70 CM?

Much better choices for amateur use,works decent for a broadbanded scanner antenna, no gain though.

No significant changes that I'm aware of. It will 'work' on 2 meters and 70 cm about like a typical 1/4 wave. Considering it's price, almost any of the commercially available antennas will work 'better'.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated