• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger TRE-936 FFC

Q:
Why do you need talkback if you aren't running echo?
???

Since you are an AMer, you might consider a nice echo mic, like the RF Limited 2018Xtreme.
Best echo available (uses a karaoke machine echo chip, very hifi), the mic part is top notch too. Has a noise-cancelling function to for mobile work.

Nice review.

Last edited:
Q:
Why do you need talkback if you aren't running echo?
???

Since you are an AMer, you might consider a nice echo mic, like the RF Limited 2018Xtreme.
Best echo available (uses a karaoke machine echo chip, very hifi), the mic part is top notch too. Has a noise-cancelling function to for mobile work.

Nice review.
I've already had a 2018 Xtreme. I want to try something different plus the 2018 has a cheap cord.
Today I am putting the radio through it's paces and reviewing it performance wise. I'm also thinking about reallocating the S/RF,SWR,Cal function to control the LesCom board I've ordered. I'm still debating on where to put the TRBX2 control pot. I may preset it and leave it inside the radio. I'm presently using a Road Devil mic but have ordered a SRA-158 mic to go on this radio. I might have the roger beep hooked up permanent and use the RB button switch the talkback or TRBX2 on/off. I'm thinking about adding a resistor of sorts to the talkback to attenuate it to where it stays on and doesn't get in the way.
I do SSB at times but most everybody around here uses AM exclusively.
So,I'm still gathering information on the best course of action.

P.S. I'm guessing that Copper Electronics has more of these 936's if anyone wants to buy one
http://www.copperelectronics.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=1634

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
CBRadioMagazine.com - Ranger SRA-158 Microphone Review

While it may be a well-built mic and CBRM likes it, that mic surely wouldn't be my first choice.
It might be about the best stock mic made; but that doesn't say very much.

If this radio is to be used for a base station, then either a D-104 or a Turner+3 are still king.
Sure does beat the daylights out of any noise-cancelling mic, except for the 2018Xtreme.

Last edited:
CBRadioMagazine.com - Ranger SRA-158 Microphone Review

While it may be a well-built mic and CBRM likes it, that mic surely wouldn't be my first choice.
It might be about the best stock mic made; but that doesn't say very much.

If this radio is to be used for a base station, then a D-104 or a Turner+3 are still king.
Sure does beat the daylights out of any noise-cancelling mic, except for the 2018Xtreme.
Have you ever tried one?

Yes I have.

Any mic needs to be matched to the radio when peaking the TX coils for best results anyway.
I use the D-104 when doing others radios.

How can you compare amplified mics to non amplified mics? If people learned how to use their mic gain, n/c mics wouldn't even be needed then a good stock mic like the sra158 is the clear winner.

How can you compare amplified mics to non amplified mics? If people learned how to use their mic gain, n/c mics wouldn't even be needed then a good stock mic like the sra158 is the clear winner.

It's easy.
Just listen to the TX sound of a SRA and D-104 (adjusted right) one at a time.
No contest . . .

Back to the radio.

I personally like a good sounding amplified mic. I'm getting the SRA-158 to see what all the fuss is about. My SRA-198 sounds good on my 959 buts needs amplification. I'll experiment some then.
I'm not quite ready to plunk down $$$ for a D-104 or Turner yet. I do however,want to get used to a good sounding mic first that is matched up with the radio.

It's easy.
Just listen to the TX sound of a SRA and D-104 (adjusted right) one at a time.
No contest . . .

Back to the radio.

You're comparing apples and oranges, lol.

I don't use any of these mics anyway, so I don't have a dog in this fight ...... carry on!

I've been running this 936 for two days now. It's got a great signal to noise ratio. In town I can turn down the RF gain and set the squelch and still pick up other people talking on the band. I don't have that whine in my radio when the engine is running,unlike the CRE-8900 which picks up the noise.
But being fair about it,I'll hear what the 936 will do performance wise after it gets DTB tuned. The NB/ANL knocks out the ignition sparkplug pulse noise as well as any localized noise such as the high pressure sodium yard light at home.
I had been wanting to get a RCI product for a while now. I feel that this radio is a cut above my 959.

Even though the 936 doesn't have the deadkey or the PEP numbers my CRE-8900 has,in quiet conditions I have talked to a base operator 23 miles away using the 936 in my mobile.

Note:so far by what I've read on other forums this radio is the same as the TR-936 but I'll know for sure soon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.