• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950DX

d1g1man

Feb 25, 2008
Hi guys.

I want to order a new RCI 2950DX from Copper.

Can a guy pop the cover, change a jumper and get the extra freqs, or MUST you have them do it by putting in extra parts or something.

Thanks!

Naw, just pop open the cover, move the jumper, and then reset the radio after you turn it back on. Mind you, I don't have a 2950DX; but while hunting for my Magnum OF, I studied a lot of candidates. And the 2950DX is a real nice candidate. There are a few web pages out there that will verify that info, just need to hunt a little bit. Not hard to find, really. The Mag 257 takes the same treatment to get the extra freqs - too. So did my Magnum OF, just put the jumper in the right place and reset.

Unless they have changed their policy, you MUST pay them the money to modify the radio, or they will send you the radio missing the part required to activate 11 meters!

Most dealers, if you choose not to have them convert your radio for you, will send you the radio plus the "E-Key" that is a little plug in module that activates the open transmit. Copper keeps YOUR E-Key unless you pay them to convert.

Not too cool!:thumbdown:

2950DX

Thanks Highlander. I had the Mag 257, a great little rig but just got tired of it. I did not like the the channel/VFO setup. And I miss being able to scan memory channels. I have an old 2950 but it needs fixing, and I can't sell it on the bay, so I said screw it and just ordered a new one.

I have always loved the 2950 radios. Put a channel guard in them and they are awesome.

That is what I had suspected on the "E-Key" Thing. I went ahead and gave them their $30 bucks. I did the same on my magnum, all they did was move the jumper. It was off a bit and not perfectly aligned. But oh well, at least they are available!

Thanks guys!

Unless they have changed their policy, you MUST pay them the money to modify the radio, or they will send you the radio missing the part required to activate 11 meters!

Most dealers, if you choose not to have them convert your radio for you, will send you the radio plus the "E-Key" that is a little plug in module that activates the open transmit. Copper keeps YOUR E-Key unless you pay them to convert.

Not too cool!:thumbdown:

Let me ask this then: Is a 2950 considered a ham radio?

I know when I got my first license and used one on 10 meters, I got the razzle from some of the old heads.

I sold the 2950 and got a Kenwood 480, but was wondering about some input.

I know when I got my first license and used one on 10 meters, I got the razzle from some of the old heads.

I sold the 2950 and got a Kenwood 480, but was wondering about some input.

You call them "The old heads"....I call them "Armchair radio lawyers"....the QRZ forum is full of them, and I ignore them like an ugly school girl.....
I'm a licensed ham and have gotten the attitude because I'm working 10m on a Dragon SS-497....(export radio).....
The way I see it is like this.....I'm on the bands that I tested for, and I'm licensed to operate on, I'm not using excess power, as a matter of fact the radio I have is QRP at a whopping 12 watts PEP on SSB, and 4 to 6 watts PEP on AM & FM.....I think my neighbor's TV set is safe for now......
Personally I don't have a problem with CB'ers running a little heat....I was guilty of that at one time, and I don't have a problem with freebanders as long as they don't cause malicious QRM on the ham bands.....

Is using an export radio legal....by the fine definitions of part 97.....probably not, but will the black suites show up with a citation and confiscate your gear....probably not either......

There's skirting a rule or two, and there's breaking the law. We've all driven faster than the posted speed limit, rolled a few stop signs, or gunned it to beat a changing traffic light. That doesn't make you a criminal, and using an export radio on a band you hold a license to operate on doesn't either.....

But that's just my take on it......your mileage may vary.......

Yeah....I'm with you. But, the 2950 is advertised as a 10 and 12 meter "AMATUER" radio. I bought that 2950 at a legit shop that installs radios in police cars for crying out loud. lol

I think they are nice 10 meter rigs, but after awhile, I just lied and said I was using an ICOM xxx and they would say - ah yeah, ICOM, great audio. Morons, it was the ranger dx.

The 2950DX are known for not sounding like a 'CB splatterbox'. That is why they gave you a good report. In a sense that radio is both a Ham radio and a clean-sounding CB rig. So long as you as you use it properly; how can the nice people in the clean, white vans tell the difference?
They can't - of course.
Nice radio by all that I've read about.
If I decide to sell my OmegaForce, that would surely be a fine choice - IMO.

For (hopefully) the last time, it is PERFECTLY LEGAL for a licensed ham to use an RCI 2950, a Connex 4800, a General Lee, a President Lincoln, a CB converted to 10 or 12 meter, or any other radio that meets the technical standards on the ham bands!!! There is no "type-acceptance" rule for the use of these radios on the ham bands.

This is not a gray area, or open to interpretation, or an undecided issue. IT IS LEGAL for hams on the ham bands.

YES !! IT IS !!!

it's intended for amateur radio use on 10 and 12 mtrs

but ,thats not gonna discourage enterprising 11 mtr operators
from taking one and "opening it up "
the manufacturer and radio dealers openly skirt this issue
because they want to sell radios !!!!!!
and they'll tell you anything you want to hear to git yur money !
unfortunately these rigs have gotten a bad rap
because a lot of 11 mtr ops , have done this "PRECISELY"
and wander down on ten mtrs :blink:
i've even seen threads on this forum about unlicensed operators
using these freqs:sad:

By the letter of the law ,

it is not legal for 11 meter operation
for unlicensed operators!!!
and just because you own one and use it on 11 meters
does not mean "THAT ITS LEGAL "

on the other hand , IT IS LEGAL for a LICENSED AMATUER RADIO OPERATOR , to own one of these and use it on 11 meters ,
PROVIDED , he or she , operates it under the legal power output limits
provided for the 11 mtr band . ie 4 watts dead carrier am
also , he or she can operate with the same impunity .
as the rest of the Crowd
no call sign , roger beeps ,noise makers, profanity ,etc, ,
as long as its under the legal power limit

A HAM Has the Authority to operate any "TRANSMITTING DEVICE he or she chooses
as long as it follows the rules for the band or frequency its being operated on , as long as he or she has the LEGAL AUTHORITY to operate there
meaning ,basically that hams have the same privileges on 11 mtrs
that all the unlicensed people do
but that unlicensed operators do not have priveleges on licensed HAM Bands !!!

furthermore ,
A LICENSED AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR has the authority
to use any band or frequency ,or any means at their disposal !
necessary to carry out emergency
radio traffic , pertaining to life or property saving measures .
to facilitate aid or relief ,

for the unititiated, that means

that I CAN get on the frequencies the COPS USE , and announce
a life or death emergency .

Provided its for real , and I readily indentify myself (y)

little wonder :LOL:
a lot of guys choose to learn the rules
and get a ticket to the whole other world of radio !

NOW !

will the fcc do anything about it - unlikely!
its a good rig , well suited for operation between 12 and 10

BOTTOM LINE !

it is illegal for anyone other than a LICENSED AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR
to operate these rigs on 11 meters .
they are not "TYPE ACCEPTED "

but that wont stop anybody will it ?

its widely held that a HAM will know how to control his PEP
and modulation to hold it under the LEGAL LIMITS
or , he or she will be subject to prosecution or fines
if they do not ,

meanwhile , the rest of the 11 mtr world .
who cant be traced , can do whatever they wish and CROW about it
and are unlikely to get POPPED !

doesn't mean you wont get caught ,
its very unlikely you will :bored:

but you dont need to come here and argue your point

IT"S ILLEGAL , End of story

its doubtful that any thing useful will come of this thread ,
other than to point out the fine points of the law
and spark further argument !!!!

Read up on the rules Fella's , and get yur ticket !!!!!!!!!!

IT"S a Whole nother world !!!!

Happy Trails

FC

"on the other hand , IT IS LEGAL for a LICENSED AMATUER RADIO OPERATOR , to own one of these and use it on 11 meters ,
as the rest of the Crowd
as long as its under the legal power limit "

Under no circumstances can anyone use a non certified radio on 11 meter cb radio.That includes licensed ham operators. It even includes Laura L. Smith herself. All ops on CB must abide by part 95.
Rich
N8fgb

"on the other hand , IT IS LEGAL for a LICENSED AMATUER RADIO OPERATOR , to own one of these and use it on 11 meters ,
as the rest of the Crowd
as long as its under the legal power limit "

Under no circumstances can anyone use a non certified radio on 11 meter CB radio.That includes licensed ham operators. It even includes Laura L. Smith herself. All ops on CB must abide by part 95.
Rich
N8fgb

Rich is correct, N9RZD you are wrong, and if you were caught doing so it would be legal grounds for license forfeiture.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated