• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950DX

It IS legal for a ham to sell his non-type accepted equipment to another ham in a private party transfer. The "import or market" is specifically targeted at businesses.

DOH! :headbang

your telling me that as long as i buy one of these rigs from another ham ,

that he or she may have purchased from one of these "Dealers"

that now its suddenly ok ?

WTF!

Highlander, you're right but here's the problem: As soon as they inspect your CB and find out that it has been peaked to run even slightly in excess of the factory specs, they now have "other evidence". And everyone knows that just about every CB has been peaked before it ever lands in your hands.

I suppose they could pull that! :closedeyes:

It is a strange set of rules.

The question came up about 2950dx being legal or not for a ham to use on 10 or 12 meters. I tried to give a clear answer, and I certainly didn't intend for the 11 meter issue to cloud the waters, but it has.

Oh well.

N9RZD, you're not actually trying to make any sense out of laws put together by our federal government are you? It'll make you nuts...

DOH! :headbang

your telling me that as long as i buy one of these rigs from another ham ,

that he or she may have purchased from one of these "Dealers"

that now its suddenly ok ?

WTF!

You almost sound like you expect something the federal government does to make any sense at all!! :laugh:

That's your first mistake! :D

I know it is strange. The dealer that imports it and markets it is violating the rule, not the buyer. Words matter. If they wanted to make the purchase, possession, or use of the rig to be illegal, they can use the words "it is illegal to buy, possess, or use these radios under part 97".

But they didn't do that, did they? They used the words "illegal to import or market".

Different words, different meanings. If you go buy a 2950 from Copper, Copper can get busted because they are violating the rules. You cxannot be busted, because you have a valid part 97 license. You can own or use ANYTHING YOU WANT and use it on the part 97 service!!

I can't make it any clearer than that.

well, hell . maybe somebody should have made that clear
about thirty posts back ,

it still sounds like were splitting hairs ,
and ultimately what will it matter in the end :confused:

I guess you proved your point Dave,

Regardless
these things are going to be on the market ,
they are going to end up in the hands of cber's
and im not going to have one in my shack !!

and i really dont give a fuck anymore :love:

Im going to bed Gentlemen , have a great evening !!!!!!!

Not quite...the FCC does hand down fines fairly often to the truck stops and all the online sites selling them. The places that have the good lawyers seem to be able to beat the fine somehow.

Good Point. My bro is a lawyer, and he cannot figure out why this would be the case either.
I am beginning to think this is scam or sting operation set up by the Feds.
The defense would be involving the word 'entrapment' and equal protection under the law.

well, hell . maybe somebody should have made that clear
about thirty posts back ,

Actually, I DID make it clear about 42 posts back, in post #9 of this thread!!!!

I'm not splitting hairs at all. I'm trying to post the correct information. There is only one answer that is correct.

wow - you all have been busy since I posted way back on page one......did I do that? lol

How about CB amps on the amateur bands? Is that legal if spectral purity is maintained? And how is a spectral purity infraction determined?

Think I'll sit back now and read......

Rob, there is definately a putrid smell of "knowing who butters your bread" on this issue. There has GOT to be a $$$ issue on why Icom, Yaesu, Kenwwod, etc can sell rigs that are so easily converted for 11m use and are perfectly legal for sale, yet Ranger cannot. Worse, they make an example of the 11m rigs, yet there are probably more rigs that are capable of the same infractions on the business/MURS VHF and FRS/GMRS UHF bands, yet you never hear a peep about that!

How about CB amps on the amateur bands? Is that legal if spectral purity is maintained? And how is a spectral purity infraction determined?

Yes, that is legal and is done more often than you might think. Spectral purity (harmonics, bandwidth, etc.) isn't all that difficult for a 3rd party monitoring station to determine. So, if you can clean up that CB amp, you can feel free to use it on 10 or 12 meters...no problemo.

Rob, there is definately a putrid smell of "knowing who butters your bread" on this issue. There has GOT to be a $$$ issue on why Icom, Yaesu, Kenwwod, etc can sell rigs that are so easily converted for 11m use and are perfectly legal for sale, yet Ranger cannot. Worse, they make an example of the 11m rigs, yet there are probably more rigs that are capable of the same infractions on the business/MURS VHF and FRS/GMRS UHF bands, yet you never hear a peep about that!

That's because they are regulated under a different set of rules and standards.

The amateur rules were written as such because we are concidered an experimental radio hobby, the rules had to be written in a way that allows home brew experimentation to thrive. Home brew radios would obviously not comply whith FCC certicifation, so anything we use does not have to be FCC certified, but we are held to a higher technical standard by the words....."operate in accordance with good Amateur practice"....that is the cover-all piece of wording that requires us as HAM's to build, maintain, and use equipment that does not cause undue interfearance to other radio services, or other amateur stations.

CB, GMRS, FRS, Emergency services, commercial braodcast, Marine, and aviation are held by a different set of rules requiring "Certified" equipment.

Again, because the amateur service is not tied down to using "Certified" equipment is the reason why it is legal for a licensed HAM to posses and use these "export" type radios, but only as long as we use them on the bands we are licensed to operate on.

Most of the confusion associated with this thread has come from trying to make sense from several different sets of rules....and I believe Highlander did point this out....
You can't read the rules governing the CB service, and expect them to also apply to the amateur service, or the other way around. It's like thinking that because the fire engine that just passed you on it's way to a fire, first stopped, then proceeded through a red light, that you also have the right to do so. Or because the police cruiser heading to an accident was traveling 15 miles an hour over the posted speed limit, that you also have the right to do so.....the rules for police and fire are different than those written for civilian motor vehicle traffic, just like the rules written for the amateur radio service is different that those written for every other radio service......

Plus what you said about making sense of anything written by the federal government is also true......:D

Yes, that is legal and is done more often than you might think. Spectral purity (harmonics, bandwidth, etc.) isn't all that difficult for a 3rd party monitoring station to determine. So, if you can clean up that CB amp, you can feel free to use it on 10 or 12 meters...no problemo.

Mole and et al:

When I first got my tech license, I ran an RCI 2950 DX tuned by Sharpshooter of 8541 Electronics into one of the heralded "nice and clean" Palomar 225 Blue face amps. Even put a brandy new Bencher LP filter in line. I was not getting into anything at the house.

BUT! I have a fellow ham about 1.5 miles from my house that would cry and moan and call a mutual ham friend and cry and moan that I was tearing him up on his favorite frequency when I was talking on 10 meters. His favorite freq is 27.545, a local lsb rag chew "freeband" freq where a group hangs and jawjacks.

The SOB would come on the air on 10 meters and interject after breaking into one of my qso's that I was splattering all over the band. He wanted to come over and help me solve my problem but I really didn't want him here.

Anyway, I sold the 2950 and the Blue face and my Maco V58 to help fund my new Kenwood TS-480HX so the problem is probably gone.

The interesting point is I was splattering him on an illegal channel. too bad

Mole and et al:

When I first got my tech license, I ran an RCI 2950 DX tuned by Sharpshooter of 8541 Electronics into one of the heralded "nice and clean" Palomar 225 Blue face amps. Even put a brandy new Bencher LP filter in line. I was not getting into anything at the house.

BUT! I have a fellow ham about 1.5 miles from my house that would cry and moan and call a mutual ham friend and cry and moan that I was tearing him up on his favorite frequency when I was talking on 10 meters. His favorite freq is 27.545, a local lsb rag chew "freeband" freq where a group hangs and jawjacks.

The SOB would come on the air on 10 meters and interject after breaking into one of my qso's that I was splattering all over the band. He wanted to come over and help me solve my problem but I really didn't want him here.

Anyway, I sold the 2950 and the Blue face and my Maco V58 to help fund my new Kenwood TS-480HX so the problem is probably gone.

The interesting point is I was splattering him on an illegal channel. too bad
I would have told him to contact the FCC and inform them you were causing interference to him on 27.545>lol from a legal 10 meter frequency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?