• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reaching out beyond 100 miles with VHF/UHF

Linked repeaters

Here in Pennsylvania we have a bunch of 2m/440 repeaters that are linked via private wan so it is totally independent from the Internet. The range is incredible hearing stations from new jersey, Virginia, Maryland, new York. It is a very widespread system. This would definitely be an asset in an emergency.

Regarding the "highly rated decoder", I installed it a few hours ago on my Windows 7 system and once it opened, nothing was clickable. It brought me back to when I was 8 and the decoder ring in the cereal box didn't work like I expected either.:blink:

The message was "Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine".

Here in Pennsylvania we have a bunch of 2m/440 repeaters that are linked via private wan so it is totally independent from the Internet. The range is incredible hearing stations from new jersey, Virginia, Maryland, new York. It is a very widespread system. This would definitely be an asset in an emergency.

Please give us a link to a page that describes that system if you haveaccess to one. I'd be interested in learning how that system works. Thanks.

The message was "Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine".

Another crummy commercial
a-crummy-commercial.jpg

Some observations.
CW decoders are dependent on what they are 'fed'. If the CW to be decoded is predictable and well formed, most of them can handle the decoding. If there is any variation in that CW, any differences in timing or spacing or length of the dit/dahs, then none of them will recognize what it's 'fed'. It has to guess at what character was sent, if it can 'guess' at all. All of those decoder programs are very easy to 'spoof', or in other words, they miss things (intentional or not). There's no substitute for using that 'computer' between your ears to decode CW. That takes time and work, sorry.

The two ways to increase your abilities is by a more complete utilization of the resources you have, or to expand those resources beyond what you have now. There's only so much you can do with a limited amount of resources, there are limits. So, the easiest way of increasing ability is by increasing those resources. In the case of what's being discussed here, that means to up-grade the license held. That opens the door to a lot of additional resources already available. (No 'magic' to it, just some hard(er) work.) Then you get to the implementation of those 'new' resources. Where the @#$$ do you put the @#$ antennas!? Unfortunately, that's not as much a joke as it sounds, and sometimes, you just can't get there from here, you know?
- 'Doc

Then you get to the implementation of those 'new' resources. Where the @#$$ do you put the @#$ antennas!? Unfortunately, that's not as much a joke as it sounds, and sometimes, you just can't get there from here, you know?
- 'Doc

Ah haaa! This is the answer to the question: "Why do hams drive around in 20-year-old trucks and live in shacks?"

Too much invested in what they've built.:rolleyes:.

Regarding the "highly rated decoder", I installed it a few hours ago on my Windows 7 system and once it opened, nothing was clickable.....:blink:

just for grins,............I tried it and it's not as good as my "internal computer",.................... but, it DOES work fine for me.

perhaps you have another problem

I work VHF simplex SSB daily out to about 250 mi and can work FM repeaters up tp about 300 mi. It's all about antennas pure and simple if you really want to be effective in ecomm you need to upgrade. All the heavy lifting in any emergency worth noting HF is the main source of most all traffic. For local events, bike races day in the park those events use VHF FM and HT's most of time.

I work VHF simplex SSB daily out to about 250 mi and can work FM repeaters up tp about 300 mi. It's all about antennas pure and simple if you really want to be effective in ecomm you need to upgrade. All the heavy lifting in any emergency worth noting HF is the main source of most all traffic. For local events, bike races day in the park those events use VHF FM and HT's most of time.

I bet you don't live in the valley either.

The Great Beyond .. 100 Miles

I remember people telling me - "All you need is a 1/4 wave spike - Just stick it up and talk." In my area vhf / uhf is almost dead. There is some activity on the repeaters, but not much. If new hams on 2 and 70 don't have anyone to talk to, they may go non-active. Long distance communications via VHF / UHF, may be just what is needed. Hams talking to other hams in more distant (low activity) areas, with and without the use of repeaters. I'm not talking about (lifts) DXing. Checking into repeater nets is ok, but there should be more simplex operation also. A comment I often hear is .. I just use the ht and x-repeater. How do we drum up more activity via simplex? How do we get more "distant communications" via (fm) simplex operation. I can leave my radio on 146.520 and not hear anyone. I can do this for days on end. Should we have a "Simplex" night? Maybe once, or twice a week? It would be cool to hear hams checking in from beyond 100 miles.

There are lots of 2 meter SSB nets on in the NE part of US.

BEAM SPINNERS DAILY-SU 8AM Local 144200 WA7KYM M,Tu,W,S KG0OR Th, K0OJ F
Western States Sunday 5:30 Pacific 144200&3920 K6TSK DM03;N8DEZ DM04
PNWVHFS Sunday 8AM Local 144240
ECVHFS Sunday 10:30AM Eastern 144250 net control K2SMN FN20
ST PETE Sunday 8:15PM Eastern 144210 Vert or Horiz WA4GCH EL87
Pack Rats Monday 8PM Eastern 144150 net control N3ITT FN20
N0PB Monday 8PM Central 144250 net control N0PB EM39*
Florida SSB Monday 7PM Eastern 144210 net control WA4JWU EL98
Rocky Mtn Monday 8PM Local 144220 net control W0EDW/K0MLM DN70
UpperRioGrande Monday 8PM Local 144.250 net control NM5F DM65
Guelph Monday 9PM Eastern 144245 net control VE3XTM EN93
San Diego Tuesday 7PM Local 144230 net control W6IPT
W5VHF Tuesday 8PM Central 144190 net control KD5ZVE EM26 (K5SW)
NO GA Tuesday 8PM Eastern 144210 net control W4TMW EM84
Quebec Tuesday 8PM Eastern 144240 net control VE2JWH FN35 (VE2DC)
PNWVHFS Tuesday 8PM Local 144240
AM Nostalgia Tuesday 7PM CDT 144950 net control KC9CUK EN52
144.240 net Wednesday 0100Z 8PM Central 144240 net control WB9LYH EN54
144.252 net Wednesday 0030Z 8:30 Eastern 144252 net control K8TQK EM89je
Guelph Wednesday 9PM Eastern 144245 net control VE3XTM EN93
North Tex SWOT Wednesday 9PM Central 144250 net control W5FKN EM13
SWOT net: Thursday 8PM Central 144250 net control K5YG EM50
OK SWOT Thursday 8PM Central 144250 net control KD5ZVE EM26
SE Ohio SWOT: Thursday 8PM Eastern 144250 net control AB8XG – KD8DJE EM89
Q5 net: Thursday 7PM Central 144220 net control N9JBW EN61
NEWS net: Thursday 8:30PM Eastern 144250 net control W1COT FN31
Atlantic SSB Friday 8:30PM Eastern 144240 net control WB4IXU EM86
Chesapeake Saturday 9:30PM Eastern 144205 net control W3BFC FM18

im in the state of georgia and we have several linked repeater systems. Two are right near me and we can talk all over the state with them. One will pick up north florida and east alabama.
you find the local repeater closest to you and it sends it out to all the others on their frequency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated