• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic Navajo TRC-459 feedback ...

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Howdy, I'm interested in hearing back from folks that have or still own one of these retro base stations from Radio Shack some time back with positive feedback and positive things to say with thier experience... Also with anyone who can tell me what peak readings they get that are fairly accurate on both AM and SSB. I hear these aren't a modulating monster but we all know if done correctly can remedy that for the most part... Also on recieve what have you guys experienced ? I just aquired one and know they have really unique scanning features and I personally think it looks pretty cool for something different ! I hope to hear back with honest good feedback from experiences and storys with this unit please...

Thanks in advance, RETRO 73's

Retro -

I had one of these years ago, and sold it almost immediately. After the outstanding 449, 457 and 458 models, there were big expectations for the 459. It had a lot of neat features, but the performance was dismal at best. No matter what we tried to do to pep it up, nothing worked. It had adequate rf power (8 watt AM carrier max.), but modulation-wise it was in the tank, even with the AMC disabled. Ditto on ssb. Good power (12-15 watts) but the audio at the receive end sounded puny. The receiver, on the other hand, was very good with excellent sensitivity and adjacent channel rejection. But ... what good is it to hear a station when you can't get back to it ?? Personally, I disliked the LED S/Rf meters and the slide controls too. From their low prices on Ebay, they're not too popular today.

Last edited:
Yeah I hear ya unit 399 bro. Well maybe I'll have yell a lil louder LOL... No seriously, I've got pleny power mics at my disposal of assorted variety. But I hope I got one of the good quality control ones and it's decent to start with as they stated it works good so I'll remain in good faith and optimistic... But it might become a project of mine to improve depending on various reasons. At any rate, thanks for the input pretty interesting indeed. Variety is the spice of life we live once here to enjoy what we tend to like ! I do prefer analog meters certainly also, however a lil change is good and no biggie. All my other radios are typical analog meters with the exception of a lil tiny Uniden Pro 510 XL and a TRC-453 which is like the Uniden PC122 I believe and my Pro 810e base I've got and love so I'm kinda stoked on that some too lil bit... So I may have somewhat of a small mountain to climb on the 459 and hopefully not too frustrating at that.....

Retro waving from Hoosier state 73's

I'm giving the TRC-459 a thumbs up. It may not be a performance or audio monster,
but mine was intended for local QSO's on the FCC forty, and for this purpose, it's fine.

Agreed on the LED metering. Other than that, I like the unique features and look, and it wasn't expensive.

Add a Realistic base power mic to top it off.

73's

Reactions: PunaPhil
Never liked the styling of this rig, it may have worked good but could never gt by the looks. Even the better looking SBE Console 6 I didn't like.

con6.jpg

W9cll hey bro... Yeah I hear they aren't for everybody ! I'm actually looking for a SBE CONSOLE VI (6) currently to add to my collection and use so if you hear of one for sale please let me know ASAP...

I hate any radio that used the slide controls like that, UGH
Not only ugly, but the little felt covers that were meant to keep dust and everything else out of the potentiometers wore away letting dust and everything else in, the result was poor service life.
All around a badddddd idea.
The sears roadtalker base that had these controls was a decent radio, but the controls ruined it.

Jeff

Audioshock, I heat ya pal... Yes I own the Sears Roadtalker 40 SSB base as well and love it... It's got excellent receive and a fun radio and thanks for your input as I do understand on the bad idea, just a dust cover cloth of sorts is best idea to use to remedy the dust bunnies.

73's

I have one of those and in spite of the short comings mentioned I like it. The slider controls are scratchy and it is not a modulation monster, but is stable on SSB and has really good ears. The modifications to enhance the modulation are easy to do. Reliable as all get out. I never have had to open it up until a storm ripped the power lines off of my house. Just needed to replace the fuse and it is working good again. My son asks if he can buy it from me on a regular basis. Since I have gone to Amateur Radio he might get it.

Tallman - I couldn't AGREE more on how you desribe the good functions on this somewhat pushed aside radio for it being a bit lacking. I'm gonna have mine aligned though as it seems to not have been done or not in years... I plan to get some extra channels installed too. It's a very nice UNIQUE base station and it does have pretty darn good ears and plus I love the speaker in it even though it fires from up top the unit...

Thanks for your input Tallman and 73's to ya sir, Retro out of the Hoosier state

The original owner paid $439.95 for mine - the Radio Shack price tag is still on the box.

The TRC-459 to my knowledge was never sold by Tandy here in Australia, so it is a rare one here, which adds to its appeal to me.

The earlier Navahos were sold here, of which I have a TRC-490, and they have become collectible.

73's

43echo695 howdy and yes I would be the same on appeal by of it's rareness, which is another reason why I'm after a SBE Console 6 as well. Funny I was with a good friend of mine yesterday who is in CB's again thanks to me, and showed him my TRC-459 and his comment was he didn't like the looks of it LOL... Well I can agree to disagree and respect his opinion, but I like variety and uniqueness in my setup !

73's back to ya mate, JIm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.