• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RECEIVE DROPS ON BOTH SETUPS

I think you might have a moisture problem either in the coax or the antenna. The antenna tuner would work but that is just hiding a problem and not the answer.
I agree. As for my coax I purchased the best I could find in my price range.
That was LMR 400 (times microwave) and being it's just four years old I doubt that's the problem. I'm going to put my attention on the antenna firstI. Thanks

If the moisture gets in past the connector it will compromise the coax too. You might just need to cut a few feet off.
Someone suggested installing my dummy load at the end of the coax.
Where the pl259 goes into the antennas so239.
It sounds plausible to me. Will that let me know if the coax was compromised? After hooking up the dummy load at that point I will check out my SWR at the station. The odd thing about the situation is that the first day the temperatures Rose above 32 everything worked fine. The SWR was sitting steady where it normally does (1:2.1) on the meter (autek wm1,) but now it's acting up again. This is even with temperatures above freezing. The problem has to be the coax or the antenna itself I'm guessing. Thanks for the help. PS. I'd like to mention once again what's happening. After warming the rig and amp up the SWR is about above a 2. This is happening on both my stations (using dawia 2 position switch to go between stations) When I key the mic for about 5 seconds the SWR begins to drop. But still never gets to the 1.2 where it normally sits. The SWR is occasionally erratic jumping up and down quickly on the SWR meter.

Do the dummy load test, but it will not tell you the whole story. If you have access to a insulation tester that would be better. No load, no connections to radio or antenna. It applies a high voltage to the cable and will verify the integrity of the coax.
Since you are experiencing an intermittent problem it could be the connector on the cable, or once again a bad antenna.

Last edited:
Do the dummy load test, but it will not tell you the whole story. If you have access to a insulation tester that would be better. No load, no connections to radio or antenna. It applies a high voltage to the cable and will verify the integrity of the coax.
Since you are experiencing an intermittent problem it could be the connector on the cable, or once again a bad antenna.
I own a soldering iron. And it's about 30 years old. LOL that's all I own. I don't mind buying a piece of equipment that's going to help me save time. Especially having two take my antenna down. Removing the coax is possible by standing on a step ladder. Is this the item (pictured) that I need?Screenshot_20180120-141204.jpg

After watching a couple of YouTube clips I was wondering if a multimeter would do the job I need in order to find out if my coax has been penetrated by moisture or water. I am really disgusted at this point. I enjoy the hobby, but feel like throwing the cover over the station and just waiting until spring time.

Reactions: Tallman
After watching a couple of YouTube clips I was wondering if a multimeter would do the job I need in order to find out if my coax has been penetrated by moisture or water. I am really disgusted at this point. I enjoy the hobby, but feel like throwing the cover over the station and just waiting until spring time.
Yep that's the exact tool you need. I am going to buy one for my use here. This will tell you if you have a transistor collector going to ground after a repair job.(Will pop fuses)
A multi-meter will not do the trick unless it is a direct short. These testers will supply a high voltage across the cable and will measure the leakage current. The nine volts from a multi-meter won't do that.

Yep that's the exact tool you need. I am going to buy one for my use here. This will tell you if you have a transistor collector going to ground after a repair job.(Will pop fuses)
A multi-meter will not do the trick unless it is a direct short. These testers will supply a high voltage across the cable and will measure the leakage current. The nine volts from a multi-meter won't do that.
So the one I pictuured is what'll do the job, and the one I need? Correct?

Reactions: Tallman
Easy to do. Disconnect both ends of the cable, connect one test lead to the center of the cable and the other to the out side and press test. Setting up the meter is easy too.
The manual should cover all of that.
I bought one way back and helped a company improve their Quality and saved them money to boot.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated