• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receive on my Palomar SSB600 compared to my President Lincoln

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So I have been using both radios lately and making non-empirical observations. So I had both units on the other day just listening.

I had the volume down on the Palomar because my Lincoln is my primary for base station use. I was not getting much and the noise floor was insane. So I was trying to find a channel that was fairly quite. I ended up on channel two. I decided to turn the volume up on the Palomar SSB600 and I was surprised. A signal that I could hear on my Lincoln but could not make out was easy to hear and clearly understand on my SSB600. It was audio only but it was easy to copy.

I was shocked that this CB that was built in the 1980's was out performing my 1998 President Lincoln on receive!!!

I am all for new technology and such but it never stops amazing me just how good the receive is on a lot of the vintage large 40 channel SSB radios. In addition to that the noise was was not as harsh or loud on it as compared to my Lincoln.

Doesn't surprise me at all. IMO, the RX on a CB radio is better than most 10M radios. My theory on this is, you buy a 10M radio and convert it... well, if you're going to convert the 10M radio, you should retune the TX and RX stages down to the 11M frequency range. Also, being as the 10M rigs are going to be more broadbanded than a CB radio, you're going to lose a little RX integrity and sensitivity, and gain more noise. If you're going to run CB and some of the freeband, you just can't beat a good old CB radio. The D858 SSB chassis and the double conversion MB8719 SSB chassis in particular have fantastic RX.

I make this statement based on many years of running/tuning radios, and while I know some people will call bullshit on me... well, I can take the heat. I'm fine in the fire. ;)

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.