• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recently Experinced Forced Reboot on PC and Solution Win 10

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So all of a sudden I had a problem where my PC would randomly reboot while in use. I tried googling the problem and got nowhere fast.

First I tried replacing the Bios Battery since I got Bios Error sometimes and it was loading the backup bios. I replaced the battery and that solved nothing.

Second I tried using the bios reset jumpers on the board.

Third I checked the power supply out but I could not find anything wrong internally or anything wrong with connectors or wiring.

Finally, after about a week of this, I decided to refresh the WIn 10 build on the pc.

It has been about a week now and the problem has not come back. So the problem was Win 10 the entire time. I never got around to figuring out what had happned with regaurd to a Windows Update or corruption that caused this.

Oh and early on I checked the SMART data on the drive as well even though I knew it was not the drive just to check this drive out. I also checked all the voltages and temp's on the CPU out as well which I left out of the above.

I have been using a computer since 1981 maybe 1982 and have never seen Windows cause a system to radomly reboot itself like this. Not that I am an expert but I have been building/configuring my own PC's since about 1995.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

Yeah re-booting them tends to help, especially after updates occur (seemingly at random) :)

Some updates are no good, like Apple slowing down older phones...
Well it turns out Apple is being sued, because they hid this from the public, the fact they lied about a "security" update, all to slow down the device.
Also try getting into any PC gaming, and you realize Windows is the only real option... :/
It is profitable for a big company to swallow up or absorb small companies. The less competition and choices we have, the more money goes in that corporate bank account.

I don't care for Windoze too much anymore! ;)

Last edited:
Well it turns out Apple is being sued, because they hid this from the public.
Also try getting into any PC gaming, and you realize Windows is the only real option... :/
It is profitable for a big company to swallow up or absorb small companies. The less competition and choices we have, the more money goes in that corporate bank account.

I'm sure you have heard of "Planned Obsolesce." It's real and in all of your electronics.
Cannon printers have a "Poison Pill" for those who insist on using refilled ink cartridges. You get a warning that some of your ink cartridges has been used and there is a chance your printer can be damaged. Ignore that too many times and they zap the circuit board that drives your print head. The printer will not even acknowledge that your print head is installed.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Finally, after about a week of this, I decided to refresh the WIn 10 build on the pc.
Ha ha welcome to Windoze.
I have been using a computer since 1981 maybe 1982 and have never seen Windows cause a system to radomly reboot itself like this. Not that I am an expert but I have been building/configuring my own PC's since about 1995.
You haven't been around Windoze that much.

I'm sure you have heard of "Planned Obsolesce." It's real and in all of your electronics.
Cannon printers have a "Poison Pill" for those who insist on using refilled ink cartridges. You get a warning that some of your ink cartridges has been used and there is a chance your printer can be damaged. Ignore that too many times and they zap the circuit board that drives your print head. The printer will not even acknowledge that your print head is installed.
Totally true..

Reactions: Tallman
I only build my own pc's but everyone in my family has me maintain their pc's. That is not the same as being a computer tech or advanced users....That said the fact that I can code and did code from the 1980's all the way up through the late 1990's I am not totally without skill. LOL

I do understand though that there are guys that work on more PC's in a day than I do in a year! LOL

Other than resource issues and some driver issues windows 7 and 10 have been completely problem free for me and have spoiled me until this happened.

Not going to lie though I used Windows XP 64 bit for CAD/CAM for 11 years and was totally happy with it. It was on my home work station and it was about Perfect!!!

mine just died on Christmas it turns on fan spins hd spins nothing on the screen. at first i thought video card. swapped it out no change. swapped ps no go.
luckily i had a spare computer. so the other one i dont know.might be good for parts
unless im missing something

mine just died on Christmas it turns on fan spins hd spins nothing on the screen. at first i thought video card. swapped it out no change. swapped ps no go.
luckily i had a spare computer. so the other one i dont know.might be good for parts
unless im missing something
You might try and pulling the RAM sticks out blowing some compressed air in the sockets and replacing the memory sticks, see if it boots up then.

If it doesn't, disconnect your hard drive and see if you get a "post screen"
A black screen with white text on it should be seen during the pre-boot initialization.

Linux has come a long way in the last 30 years. Ubuntu Studio is a great operating system and blows Windows 10 out of the water.
https://ubuntustudio.org
Best of all, it's free.
Ubuntu_studio.svg

You might try and pulling the RAM sticks out blowing some compressed air in the sockets and replacing the memory sticks, see if it boots up then.

If it doesn't, disconnect your hard drive and see if you get a "post screen"
A black screen with white text on it should be seen during the pre-boot initialization.
I usually just put only one stck in first; then see if it will boot. Ram can go bad.

Linux has come a long way in the last 30 years. Ubuntu Studio is a great operating system and blows Windows 10 out of the water.
https://ubuntustudio.org
Best of all, it's free.
Ubuntu_studio.svg

I have been using Linux now (along with OSX) for almost 20 years. My current laptop is Linux Mint 18 mate desktop (themed to look like OSX). I have yet to find an app on Windoze that I can't get a decent clone of on Linux. I can also run Win apps through wine if needed.

As a photographer, I have found that I can get just about everything I need on Linux but I am sticking with Mac OSX for now (color management on Linux has not evolved enough yet) for my professional work.

One of the misnomers of Linux is there are no viruses... lol Well there are but they are few and far between compared to the Windows world.

Linux still does require a bit of tweaking but it has greatly improved over the last few years, any of the Ubuntu variants are a good place to start. I like Mint because most of the drivers and codecs are installed.

The one negative of Linux is driver support, while vastly better than the past there is still a lack of some HW support for third-party devices. I will say however every laptop I have installed Linux all of the hardware was supported, so far this includes, HP, Dell, Toshiba, Apple (yes apple), Levono and Acer.

I usually just put only one stck in first; then see if it will boot. Ram can go bad.
That's a good point I forgot to raise, might want to check each stick individually to see if you can get a post screen, I've also had a hard drive fail and cause the computer not to boot.

So all of a sudden I had a problem where my PC would randomly reboot while in use. I tried googling the problem and got nowhere fast.

First I tried replacing the Bios Battery since I got Bios Error sometimes and it was loading the backup bios. I replaced the battery and that solved nothing.

Second I tried using the bios reset jumpers on the board.

Third I checked the power supply out but I could not find anything wrong internally or anything wrong with connectors or wiring.

It has been about a week now and the problem has not come back. So the problem was Win 10 the entire time. I never got around to figuring out what had happned with regaurd to a Windows Update or corruption that caused this.

Oh and early on I checked the SMART data on the drive as well even though I knew it was not the drive just to check this drive out. I also checked all the voltages and temp's on the CPU out as well which I left out of the above.

Random reboots are often caused by bad connections, bad BIOS battery, failed RAM, or a weak power supply. This can happen with ANY OS.

Corrupted files most often are due to a bad hard drive. You can test it in 'Administrative Tools'. Many times OS failures can happen if someone deletes the wrong files. You should have a 'restore point' that you can go to that will bring it back if someone has messed with your computer too. I'd also highly recommend installing a free copy of 'CCleaner' and have it check the registry. It is also a good idea to run 'Disc Cleanup' in 'Administrative Tools'

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated