• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rechargeable batteries in the BT-13

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
I have a Kenwood HT with the optional BT-13 AA battery holder. It says "do not use rechargable batteries" on the unit.

Why not? Will the voltage be too low? Will it simply reduce the output of the unit or will it do something worse? I am well stocked with Sanyo Eneloops.

Why don't they make an 8 AA battery holder that would produce 10 to 12 volts instead of this 4 battery holder than produces only 5 or 6? And for the price, they could include a years worth of AA's.

Last edited:

The battery pack is likely not fused to protect against a short. The rechargeable batteries used today can get hot, maybe explode or cause a fire.

I still use them though, I just double check the polarity.

The battery pack is likely not fused to protect against a short. The rechargeable batteries used today can get hot, maybe explode or cause a fire.

I still use them though, I just double check the polarity.

Roger that on the heat. I had 4 of them randoming rolling around in my pocket. For a minute there I thought I was a liar because my pocket became hot enought for my pants to catch on fire. Luckily they didn't, but my pocket and leg got awfully hot.

My next purchase was this nifty 8, AA battery case. No more potential for pants on fire.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.