• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommend a Wattmeter

What about Diamond SX-200, they run about $90..? Granted only 200w max.. Does RMS and Peak..

Gotta watch that peak power claim. I have the Diamond SX-1000 (great meter) however the peak claim is stretching it. All the switch does is switch a capacitor into the sampling circuit to make the meter read CLOSER to peak power but it is still not true peak power. IIRC even the manual states that it will only read about 70-80% of true peak power. Basically if the peak function works without any source of power then it is NOT a true peak reading meter. This applies regardless of the manufacturer.

Reactions: Tallman and binrat
This is the "passive" peak-reading circuit. Requires no battery or power supply, but falls short in accuracy. The capacitor that gets switched into the circuit gets charged up by the voice peaks, and discharges back into the meter's coil during the "valleys" between those peaks. Holds the pointer up, but still allows it to fall slightly while it waits for the next peak to charge it back up.

You will usually find that the peak-reading accuracy is best on the highest power scales. Most such meters will switch wattage ranges by putting a higher resistance in line with the meter movement on higher power scales. The higher this resistance, the longer it takes to discharge the peak-holding capacitor, and the better it holds the meter's pointer up between voice peaks.

The ever-present Dosy meters will exhibit this habit.

Gigaparts has the CN 901 HP3 for $140. I believe I will get one. I would provide a link,but I can't get it to work using my phone.

From my understanding it does read true pep. Also it must be hooked to a power source to work, not just for the light. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Pun intended!

cn901hp.jpg
http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8100&products_id=73343

Professional Series Bench Meter

Average and True PEP Reading Meter

Frequency: 1.8-200MHz
Power Range Forward: 20/200/2kW
Accuracy: �10% (at full scale)
SWR Detection Sensitivity: 5W min
Input/Output Impedence: 50 OHM
Input/Output Connectors: SO-239
Dimensions & Weight: 6.25" x 4.3" x 4.8" / 2lbs. 3ozs.

Lighted

Ok dumb question, so I would need to put at least 5 watts into the meter for it to read my swr? That's fine with a radio with variable power but a couple of my radios only deadkey about 3 watts. I guess I could always key a tone into the microphone and check my swrs with about 10 watts.?

Last edited:
Reactions: Limeybastard
I'm going to go against the grain here .
I've done this professionally and have the gear but for years I didn't need the high price spread.

You see my "elmer" was a broadcast engineer. I had access to Bird, Harris, Simpson, HP-Agilent, Singer...
I found the biggest damn meter I could for the lowest price and gave it two knobs . FWD/REV and 2-20-200-2000 W .
I calibrated it against a bird 43 with the proper slugs in it .

I built several variations of this basic circuit and continued to refer back to the original for calibration. The non portable large face (10" across, Yeah nearly Warner Bro's ) at 2W full scale was great for small signal work. At 20 it was fine for most all SSB radios.
The portables were a collection of rugged cases if not meters. I did this for almost 20 years before Having to finally buy the high priced spread.

You can buy a lot of hot dogs for what you spend on a Dosey/Diawa/Bird/WTFever. If you're not a pro, build it and find a pro that will allow you to put it in the same line with his bird. Folks, a bidirectional relative power meter is the second easiest project you will ever build. You will keep it the longest and use it the most and have to look at it every day. Do it right and make it look good .
You will not regret it .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.