• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommend a Wattmeter

Yes Sir, I took that advice. You'll notice in post #34 that I ordered up a Daiwa 901.
Should be here today.......... looking forward to it.
After you check it out come in here and let us know what you think of it. I'm sure you will be please with not having to calibrate before each test and if you want to test your P.E.P. you will need your power supply hooked to it. And I think you will like that too.

Alrighty then ......... YEEHAW .........

Received the Daiwa 901HP3 and couldn't be more pleased. Visually a quality build that feels good in the hand, looks good on the shelf and seems to be spot on !!!

Thanks much for leading me down the right path here.

After a bit of testing here are my results:

Barefoot from the 980SSB
AM - DK - 4.5w
Mod - 4.5 (no Swing)
w/Pal 200X
in Stby - 4.5w
on Low - 100w
on Hi - 140w

SWR across the band was 1.2
Cross checked on the Daiwa, the 980 internal and an Astatic external.

Barefoot from the 980SSB

SSB - 8w Avg
11 PEP

w/Pal 200X
on Low - 150w
on Hi - 200w

I did note a bit of backswing while Tx from the Palomar, guess I need to do some reading and figure what that's all about and make corrections as needed. Other than that it would seem that all is well with the setup.

Again thanks for the advice and I welcome any further comments.

Cheers .............

The Daiwa is fairly accurate along with my Bird meters right out of the box. Enjoy.
Of course, the meter gives you VSWR reading while in the AVG setting only.
You can install a small internal jumper wire and get SWR readings while the meter is in the PEP mode also.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/new-daiwa-cn-901hp-power-swr-meters.211701/

I have two of the CN-801HP meters and one CN-801HP3 meter. I have performed the modification to enable the power reflect needle to operate in the PEP mode. They work great.
I just recently purchased the new CN-901HP meter (801HP's no longer available).
The meter has changed somewhat. All push buttons for operation and the PC board has also changed. I have searched extensively for a modification to enable the SWR needle in PEP mode. None available.
So, I spent an afternoon taking my new meter apart and tracing the circuit board.
I have located the points for the SWR/PEP modification. Just add a short jumper very carefully, just as in the 801HP meters.
I will post the photos showing the mod.
I do not take responsibility if this modification does not work for you, or if you make a mistake.
17778-ec50a5e07421f884a40fa563220acf14.jpg
17779-584bf574f4c37ffb74c5ad09bb8a2d8c.jpg

The Daiwa is fairly accurate along with my Bird meters right out of the box. Enjoy.
Of course, the meter gives you VSWR reading while in the AVG setting only.
You can install a small internal jumper wire and get SWR readings while the meter is in the PEP mode also.

Thx ......... Good info that I'll archive for future use but don't think I'll have a need for this mod at the moment. I'm just a casual user on 11m and the 901 tells me what I need to know for now.

Nice meter, just remember 10% tolerance on it (full scale) if you check it.

Thx ....... I'm sure it will be fine for my uses.

I bought a Workman 201S from Amazon.com. After a got my transceiver hook up to it with my oil filled dummy load. The meter showed I have 2.1 VSWR on 11 and 10 meters. My other two meters show 1.1 or less on 12, 11 and 10 meters. I would not have purchased it If I knew it was that far off. I tried to call the Workman Telephone and It sent me some where else. I can not recommend this meter anyone. Maybe ther is a way to re-calibrate to meter to meet my standards. I just might open it up.
Any comments

I bought a Workman 201S from Amazon.com. After a got my transceiver hook up to it with my oil filled dummy load. The meter showed I have 2.1 VSWR on 11 and 10 meters. My other two meters show 1.1 or less on 12, 11 and 10 meters. I would not have purchased it If I knew it was that far off. I tried to call the Workman Telephone and It sent me some where else. I can not recommend this meter anyone. Maybe ther is a way to re-calibrate to meter to meet my standards. I just might open it up.
Any comments
I had a Workman 202S, and it was horrible on both SWR and wattage, when it would work at all. I don't recommend them either.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated