• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Redman RM3001 triple meter with black backlighting

I wish it had an RMS setting

I wish it had an RMS setting, unfortunately it doesn't. It does have a an off setting so perhaps can turn off when modulating, but then I need to know how much the meter can handle pass through with wattmeter turned off. I never owned a Dosy triple meter and all those TC3001 models are 1kW max reading. Kinda dissapointing, especially given that others have 5kW reading meters available although the quality has gotten so cheap with poorly printed meter faces and imported meter movements that the PDC/Astatic and Workman models have. If Redman got the manufacturer to make at least a 2kW model with triple meters, made in U.S. monitor jack, RMS and Peak, etc for about the same price or a little more, I think it would sell faster. I'd take two of them!

The ad says the 3001 has rms.

That's what they are, rebadged meters. Redman is just a seller. He puts his little led lights in, adds a jack here or a switch there and calls it the Redman 3001. I doubt highly he is actually building these meters from the ground up. JMHO. If you are that concerned with readings why not just spend the Money once and get an LP-100A. Just saying. Save your pennies and have a real meter. Again, JMHO.

"Never mind, you answered it, and still do not get it, You Calculate RMS, you do NOT read it on a Dosy meter.
Dosy has mislabeled the meter and always will, and the myth will live on despite the effort to teach otherwise.

Jeff

There is nothing to get, your point is meaningless, or should I say "irrelevant" as the meter's function is still valid for what it is used for. You can raise your hand and scream that you were abducted by aliens, and it still wouldn't matter for the droves of Dosy users that depend on the RMS measurement that it provides, no matter what you say about RMS and how its calculated and applied in the laboratory or on paper or in the classroom or whatever....[/QUOTE]

I know this is old but I missed it the first time around. The issue is the improper terminology. There is no such thing as RMS power. AVERAGE power is calculated using RMS voltage and RMS current measurements and the result is AVERAGE power. Anyone that cannot even use proper terminology should not even be in the business of calling themselves a tech but nevertheless Redman still does. If you want a decent meter that reads both true PEP as well as real AVERAGE power up to a couple kilowatts then buy a Diawa CN801 (2Kw) or CN801HP (3Kw version).

Reactions: Beetle and binrat
Diawa's are nice. Also note that most power meters, even the electronic display units, have internal adjustments for calibration. You actually can tune the "Dosywatts" out of a Dosy meter to some degree ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?