• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

replacement tip for whip..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
have a wilson 1000 with a wilson short load whip..the short load had a little plastic tip for static but must of got knocked off..is there anything i can put on there besides having to send in for a penny item ?

if it was plastic, it was just for eye protection. maybe screw on a small cap nut.

c2..havnt rechecked the swr but i have heard it changes your swr if its off after you tuned it originaly with it on..also read somewhere the sharp edge where you clip the whip induces static..

If it was plastic, it wasn't there for any other reason than to protect the dumb person from poking themself in the eye. A round, metallic tips serves as a corona ball, which WILL affect your swr (it introduces capacitance) and will also cure the static discharge problem.

If it was plastic, it wasn't there for any other reason than to protect the dumb person from poking themself in the eye. A round, metallic tips serves as a corona ball, which WILL affect your swr (it introduces capacitance) and will also cure the static discharge problem.

i was of the impression a corona ball wasnt necessary at CB frequencies , with less than 1000 watts . i know plastic tips are just cosmetic or eye protection because RF isnt affected by plastic . i also didnt think they were long enough to affect vswr .

not even 10 AM and ive learned something already . ;)

Well, "necessary" and "present" are two different things ;) Most of the little bitty corona balls that are on cb antennas like this one are so small that they're almost useless and won't affect the SWR much, if any. A corona ball can be absolutely necessary on lower bands (75 meter, for example) if you're running any kind of power at all to prevent arcing to nearby objects. (Ask my wife about what she saw one night while I was mobile and parked underneath the tree out front!)

At 10/11 meters, you're not going to have that problem without pretty large levels of power, but what the corona ball can do for you is reduce static build-up while driving, which you would hear in your reception. I suspect that's the biggest impact you will have with the little corona ball on the Wilson 1000.

Moleculo..the add for the whip says its vynal , same as plastic realy..it also says to replace the tip after tuning so it stays the same swr after trimming.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated