• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM KL-203 and Repair

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
I finally found replacement parts for the KL-203 and swapped out the bad relay today. Overall this is a cheap little amp that I'm not sure is worth the new selling price. Innards and highlights of the repair are below. With two watts drive(10 meters of course) it does about 60 watts out.

First of all when I told my assistant I was taking apart a KL-203 she barked and hid under the work bench.
DSCN0118.jpg

Underside of the board. Those look like IRF520's but are labeled RM 4.
DSCN0122.jpg

Parts side. You can see the relay at the 6 o'clock position. I'll get to that in a sec.
DSCN0120.jpg

The 8 relay leads are so tight in the holes on the board I had to break apart the old relay to pull the leads out and then clean up the holes.
DSCN0123.jpg

Underside of the board showing the 8 relay solder points. Easy to get to but difficult to to de-solder.
DSCN0124.jpg

Skipping forward to relay installed. Solder side.
DSCN0128.jpg

Top Side.
DSCN0130.jpg

Point of interest. This is the factory blobbed up 12 volt connection to the board. Both had cold solder joints. WOW!! I reworked this before putting the unit back together.
DSCN0125.jpg

Well...ok I had an extra blue led laying around and couldn't resist.:whistle:
DSCN0131.jpg

Last edited:

I put irf520's in a friend of mine's little 203 that he over drove and burnt them up. they worked fine in the amp. a lot cheaper than the rm3 that comes in them. a little less output but not enough to justify buying the original ones. his put out about 80 watts after the mosfet changes on am and about 150 on SSB

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like this whole section is disconnected. Anybody know what this section does?

Well,maybe L1-4 and associated caps.

L1-L4 are 2,2 uH chokes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,585
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.