• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Routing coax out of the cab of a 2006 F150

RickC.

Hopeless antenna junkie
Mar 30, 2009
Alabama
OK, I seldom operate mobile other than my 2m HT, but I joined a new hunting club that uses CBs quite a bit and thought it would be fun to have one in the truck. On my Rangers and other vehicles, finding a convenient grommet under the door sill was no problem. This F150 presents some challenges though.

So I'm asking for suggestions. I really don't want to go through the firewall grommets close to the master cylinder because routing the coax back toward the bed would have it closer to the manifold than I'd like. Also, I have just about killed my hands and lost every bit of Sunday School I ever had trying to get the rear seat popped out (this is an extended cab) to access the rear vents/grommets to route the coax out the rear of the cab. Even with an extra pair of hands and using the tricks I've found on YouTube and the various Ford truck boards, it just will not budge.

I don't want to be stuck with a magnetic mount, so what say ye? (And pics would be nice if you have a extended cab F150 around that year model and you have solved this problem).

Thanks,

Rick

Have you looked under the carpet/floor covering? I haven't seen a truck yet that didn't have at least one opening in the floor (on each side). None there? So make one.
- 'Doc

I always make the hole where I want it.

Pick up some grommets...

On my new/newer cars and trucks I would take the time to do it right and guard against leaks and corrosion.

Older vehicles get the quick and dirty install. I has no problems with punching or drilling a hole in a new vehicle.

Sent from my phone.

So I'm asking for suggestions. I really don't want to go through the firewall grommets close to the master cylinder because routing the coax back toward the bed would have it closer to the manifold than I'd like. Also, I have just about killed my hands and lost every bit of Sunday School I ever had trying to get the rear seat popped out (this is an extended cab) to access the rear vents/grommets to route the coax out the rear of the cab. Even with an extra pair of hands and using the tricks I've found on YouTube and the various Ford truck boards, it just will not budge.

I don't want to be stuck with a magnetic mount, so what say ye? (And pics would be nice if you have a extended cab F150 around that year model and you have solved this problem).

Thanks,

Rick
I have a 09 F150 Super Cab and even tho I don't have the radio in it yet, I don't see any problem of routing the coax.
I will be installing a Wilson 5000 here shortly, it will go through the roof and the coax will come straight down through the headliner. Then I will us Velcro to fasten it to the headliner and route it over to side by the window.

No firewall and no back of cab holes.

Well for my self on all my trucks I run wilson 1000 mags mounst and go through the third brake light, as I dont really like drilling in my new trucks.

Hello all, I would say if you intend to keep the truck for a number of years, then do what you need to, ie, drill a hole, fit a grommet and seal with silicone if required.
You could always leave the antenna (or complete set up) in the truck when you sell it (it may just seal the deal?)
Buy and install a new set up in your new truck when you get one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.