• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SCOUT 20 4X4

Jun 22, 2008
n.w. oregon
Have any of you tube amp guys ever had or have any experience with the old scout 20 4x4 amp.?? i know is a low drive 4 driving 4 and its useing 4- 6jt6a and 4-6mj6 tubes. so lets hear it, good,bad or ugly.

It's a good amp. Well built and solid. A dual final radio is about as much as you would want to put into it. With the price of tubes now a days you might not want to hit it that hard. We used to drive them with JB12's and such. Similar to a Maverick 250 but a little different design. Low power will not be too impressive if tuned in the high power position but live with it. If the caps are good (or have been replaced) basically you should be able to run it a long trouble free time.

BC

Their built like tanks! Quality throughout & you won't need a "driver" (modulator, etc.), unless you want to replace tubes often! They kinda look like the newer Maco's in their layout, & the only "issues" I've had w/ either amp was the keying circuit. Changed to a TIP-31 trans. & "good 2 go" (y)

I currently own 2. Both are labled "Super Scout". 1 is built using 4 ea.- 6KV6A's driving 8 ea. - 6JE6C's (all tubes are matched Sylvania's from RF Parts), & the other 1 has 4 ea. 6JE6C's driving 6 ea. - 6LF6's (all tubes are matched, tall bottle GE's). Tubes in both are NOS, hence their home in a display case! The 10 tube started life as a 4 driving 4, but was sent back to the amp builder to have bigger Xfrmrs added & sockets changed, etc., etc.

190, I'd bet you're asking because of the current auction on ebay...., his claimed wattage output of 1400 is kinda high for a 4 driving 4, but you know how wattmeters are. Plugged into a 30A service, my 12 tube Scout does 1400, & the 10 tube will do 1800. I figure my Bird43P & 55's Bird (in his shop) are pretty accurate.

Anytime I see an "unmolested" Scout for sale, I try to snatch it up! I was going to bid on the amp, but I think the ebay police killed the auction.... , :censored:

Just my 2 cents....

thanks for the info guys. ya that was the one suicide ride. looked pretty clean to me. looked like it was built a little better than the d and a amps.

i have an sos scout 4x4 and i love the power it puts out mine will do 1500 on low side and 2500 on high side i have no prob talking out of the usa when i have it runing

Last edited:
hey bullwinklemoose, what are you driving your scout 20 with.? im driving mine with a peaked and tuned uniden grant xl and would see 1000 to 1100 watts (pep) on the high side. this is on AM. ive not tried it on ssb. have you or any one else tried there scouts on ssb. ive been wondering if it would be ok to use a hr-2510 for a exciter for my scout 20 4x4. the 2510 swings to 43 watts (pep). does about 23 to 25 watts on the average setting. i scored i mint MINI SCOUT to.

I would not drive it with more than 2 or 3 watts dk.15 or so pep. It was made in a time before exports. A CB is all the drive it needs or wants. I had one. Moose you need a new meter.

My super scout will do about 1800 3 6kv6a driving 6 6lf6. My 20 will do 550 4 6jg6a driving 4 6lq6. Every 20 i have ever seen will peak from 500 to 650. My mini will do 140 with 8417 I drive them with a galaxy 66 that has mods and 2 watss dead key swing 50

Hey Mr Clean, I wonder where we can get these "feel good" meters at? There would be a good market for folks that like to watch that "SWANG" on the needle.

It reminds me of years ago a CB'er was using a Dosy meter. He had a JB12 and was driving it into a Varmint XL 75 mobile amp on a power supply. His meter showed 160 watts total. We hooked a model 43 Bird up. His JB 12 did 12 watts and the whole setup did 25. He got so mad he ran us away from his house and did not talk too much on the radio after that. It really hurt his feelings.

I here ya. If you switch over to average watts it really hurts some feelings.Im just a ol CBer so I got a Wizard Built amp. I run it with less drive than what I was told I could use to try and run a fairly clean station. The needle dont swing as far as it could so I must be nuts LOL! Get a box bigger than you think you need and run it on the mild side it will work for along time. I can talk on it all night if I need to and the air blowing out does not get pee warm. Thats what im talking about! (y)

Wizard steel box = Wish box (Wish I had the $$$ to buy 1!)

Spent all my $$$ on a 43P Bird & 5 slugs... a Hickok 800A (MINT!), B&W 1.5Kw wattmeter - oil filled dummy load, US Navy Cap. checker

Owned a "feel good" Dosy (the 1000?) & after seeing the dif. between it & the Bird... threw the Dosy away!!

Remember the "Wish sandwich"? 2 slices of bread & you... ha ha ha...... "wish" you had some meat! Bow Bow Bow! (Blues Brothers)

Spent all my $$$ on a 43P Bird & 5 slugs... a Hickok 800A (MINT!), B&W 1.5Kw wattmeter - oil filled dummy load, US Navy Cap. checker

Owned a "feel good" Dosy (the 1000?) & after seeing the dif. between it & the Bird... threw the Dosy away!!

Remember the "Wish sandwich"? 2 slices of bread & you... ha ha ha...... "wish" you had some meat! Bow Bow Bow! (Blues Brothers)

Wannnna' 'nother biskit??

I have one of the smaller Wizards but its all I need. 550 Average 1800 or so pep if ya push it. Hes got some that key 5000 or so.

Hey B.C.- RRRRRRUUUBBBEEERRRRR bis-cuit?

I've seen some long-nosed Sub'er'bans running Wizard boxes that say "55 built steel". Mr. Clean... is 55 & Wizard the same guy?

If so... (y)

I remember drooling :drool: over his white Chevy van right after John (55) had just finished building it. After seeing what he could design/build in the way of an industrial grade, commercial service mobile radio station .... I wouldn't waste a second dropping BIG $$$ (if I had any) to buy from him!!

Mr. Clean said - I have one of the smaller Wizards but its all I need. 550 Average 1800 or so pep if ya push it.

The "Smart ones" know that it is always better to "Caddilac" your amp, & that's why we... um..., they always sound "10-8 & GR8!!" (y)

BTW - Mr. Clean... which tube you running?

B.C. said - I wonder where we can get these "feel good" meters at? There would be a good market for folks that like to watch that "SWANG" on the needle.

I can remember a friend having to have 2 seperate watt meters....

A Dosy if he was selling...

A Bird if he was buying...

I wonder why? ;)

55 and Wizard are not the same person. 55 is in Florida and Wizard is in Illinois. They both build quality boxes. Google Wizard built amps and go to his website. He also has a few videos on youtube showing his boxes in action.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated