• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

shortened 80 meter antenna

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
Just want to share my 80 meter antenna i just made. I don't know how well it is working but i made 4 contacts on 80 meters last night. 2 where on the west cost. I am in New York
The antenna is 14awg 28' to the coil then 11' after the coil is warped around a 4.25" OD pvc pipe with 17 wraps total length of the antenna is 78' 6".
I still have some tweaking and ill get some swr readings when it gets nice out ill play with taking raps off the coil and extending out the 11" end
I hope this helps some one

Last edited:
Reactions: binrat

nice, whatever works,, all I have is an end fed 53' wire with a 9:1 unun balun.. you going to be on 80 tonight??

yeah i can be ill Mosley be tuning around i am still a little shy so i just like to jump in on peoples QSO's

Put up an antenna as high as you can.

Make the antenna as efficient as you can.

Get a BIG honking amp ( loafs at legal limit )

Key it down and make some room on the band.

Welcome to the 80 meters outlaw band, sometimes it makes 11 meters look like childs play.

Reactions: KD2GOE
Put up an antenna as high as you can.

Make the antenna as efficient as you can.

Get a BIG honking amp ( loafs at legal limit )

Key it down and make some room on the band.

Welcome to the 80 meters outlaw band, sometimes it makes 11 meters look like childs play.

:LOL: living around a lot of homes in the city ill have to run 100 watts QRP :D

75 meter phone frequency really does not cause any RFI that I have noticed, I have my computer speakers turned on and i am using legal limit into a dipole and i do not get any rfi.

I DO use good 1:1 current baluns at all feed points of my dipole antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.