• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Single Side Band Newbie question

Brain the Dog

May 18, 2016
I use CB for communication between one mobile and one base. I'm about to purchase an SSB radio for the base and for the mobile -- I've only used AM till now. If I'm only concerned with communicating with one specific base station, will I still need to constantly work the clarifier in my mobile as I drive? or will it stay locked in once I get it set good? I guess I'm wondering, does me driving around effect the frequency if I'm just communicating with one specific base station?

I will be using the Galaxy CBs with SSB (base and mobile).

Freq will drift slightly +/- depending on ambient temperature. Best to keep the heater on in the vehicle in the winter time. Other stations aren't always on center freq as well; so you will need to adjust the clarifier accordingly. Don't need to look at the clarifier as you do it, just adjust by ear is best.

Last edited:
I use CB for communication between one mobile and one base. I'm about to purchase an SSB radio for the base and for the mobile -- I've only used AM till now. If I'm only concerned with communicating with one specific base station, will I still need to constantly work the clarifier in my mobile as I drive? or will it stay locked in once I get it set good? I guess I'm wondering, does me driving around effect the frequency if I'm just communicating with one specific base station?

I will be using the Galaxy CBs with SSB (base and mobile).

Welcome to the world of SSB, you will like it. Some quick bits of information. On AM you have a carrier or dead key and when you talk you reach the radio's peak power. You can see that on a watt meter or the radio's meter. In SSB mode it's all modulation driven, there is no carrier or dead key when you key the mic. If you buy a radio like a Galaxy 959 some people will call it a 120 channel radio, it's not. It's still a 40 channel radio you just have two additional modes of talking on those 40 channels. USB and LSB. Don't try to check your SWR in SSB mode since there is no carrier. A clarifier is funny to use at first but you will get the hang of it. For the most part you should keep the clarifier at 12:00 assuming your radio has been properly tuned and is on frequency.

Reactions: 357magnum
I've owned galaxy radios in the past and will never own one again! If you want stability and your not planning on hacking for extra channels and want to save a buck look at buying 2 uniden bearcat 980ssb radios and buy a power supply to use one as a base and the other as a mobile. Need more power? Look at adding a RM Italy KL203P amp to each radio and you realistically should get about 80 watts on AM and 120-140 On SSB. My most recent mobile was a 980 into a kl203p using a Wilson 1000 magnetic antenna..I think I had about $250 in it before changing amps and antenna.

I agree with BammBamm, if you are looking for your basic sideband radio you can't beat the Uniden 980 IMO. Good audio, it stays on frequency and has the weatherband as well.
The President Mckinley looks like a great radio as well but I don't have any experience with one.
I have had my 980 for about 5 years now and it is still going strong. I run a rm 203 behind it with either a ranger sra198 or a Rf limited 2018 microphone and get great reports with it. I can talk to base stations on sideband about 50 miles away using either a Wilson 1000 mag mount or a 4.5 ft whip antenna mounted to my toolbox.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of SSB, you will like it. Some quick bits of information. On AM you have a carrier or dead key and when you talk you reach the radio's peak power. You can see that on a watt meter or the radio's meter. In SSB mode it's all modulation driven, there is no carrier or dead key when you key the mic. If you buy a radio like a Galaxy 959 some people will call it a 120 channel radio, it's not. It's still a 40 channel radio you just have two additional modes of talking on those 40 channels. USB and LSB. Don't try to check your SWR in SSB mode since there is no carrier. A clarifier is funny to use at first but you will get the hang of it. For the most part you should keep the clarifier at 12:00 assuming your radio has been properly tuned and is on frequency.
What do you mean by "properly tuned"? How do I get that done?

I have a new in box 980 I have never even tried it. And I got it from Amazon...

The frequency stability and clear audio is what got my attention. Even the AM audio seems to be sufficient. It's not loud CB audio but good clear AM. One guy ran his with a 300a and it was a good combo for him.

Unfortunately the local guys that bought them went back to their big galaxy base radios with all the bells and whistles. I was actually enjoying ssb on 11 meters for a short period of time.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?