• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Single Side Band Newbie question

I use CB for communication between one mobile and one base. I'm about to purchase an SSB radio for the base and for the mobile -- I've only used AM till now. If I'm only concerned with communicating with one specific base station, will I still need to constantly work the clarifier in my mobile as I drive? or will it stay locked in once I get it set good? I guess I'm wondering, does me driving around effect the frequency if I'm just communicating with one specific base station?

I will be using the Galaxy CBs with SSB (base and mobile).
Awhile back, I started a thread concerning fixing the drift issue on Galaxy radios for better SSB function ('less drift'). Exitthirteen gave some very useful tips on that thread; they are both repeatable and reliable if done correctly. But these mods are beyond the scope for a newbee to deal with/perform.

Rant: However, my biggest gripe with a Galaxy are those who hack the modulation circuit and still insist to continue to use the radio on SSB after doing those hacks. Take your pick: it is either a loud, hacked AM radio w/lousy SSB performance -OR- a decent unhacked AM radio with usable SSB.
You simply cannot have both.
Just my own experience after having to repair several of them. End of rant.

Using a Galaxy base station in a comfortable room temperature will exhibit little drift, so it should be fine for use. Using a Galaxy in a mobile setting will mean that attention and necessary adjustments should be expected. Doesn't mean that you cannot do that. I've been using a Galaxy radio in my mobile for almost a whole decade, I just get used to the drift issue by adjusting it when necessary.

Last edited:
Wow, I did not know that. I wish there were more CB Base stations still in production!
The better radios for mobile is the Uniden 980. Uniden radios have always been rock steady on frequency. I bought one a couple of years ago and just started checking it out and was most impressed as to how well the modulation could be adjusted.
Do not buy a good radio and send it out for the "Power Tune" because that just screws them up. They mess with the harmonics suppression filters and yes, it will read higher output watts, but not usable watts. The extra power is wasted being transmitted in the harmonics which can not be heard by other cb's. It also will burn your FET's with reflected swr.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
I actually have mine tuned to 1 1/2 watt dead key and I talk on it quite often with the amp off. If you buy the 980 take the case of the Mic apart and on the front case you will see where the element sits..carefully lift it out and you will find a rubber ring with a hard plastic disc under it then a disk of felt...throw out the hard plastic disk and reinstall it all back together and enjoy your massive modulation increase! Use the modulation control on face of radio to adjust it..DON'T TOUCH MODULATION ADJUSTMENT INSIDE RADIO!

I actually have mine tuned to 1 1/2 watt dead key and I talk on it quite often with the amp off. If you buy the 980 take the case of the Mic apart and on the front case you will see where the element sits..carefully lift it out and you will find a rubber ring with a hard plastic disc under it then a disk of felt...throw out the hard plastic disk and reinstall it all back together and enjoy your massive modulation increase! Use the modulation control on face of radio to adjust it..DON'T TOUCH MODULATION ADJUSTMENT INSIDE RADIO!

Ok that does it. Gotta get one now. LOL

Awhile back, I started a thread concerning fixing the drift issue on Galaxy radios for better SSB function ('less drift'). Exitthirteen gave some very useful tips on that thread; they are both repeatable and reliable if done correctly. But these mods are beyond the scope for a newbee to deal with/perform.

Rant: However, my biggest gripe with a Galaxy are those who hack the modulation circuit and still insist to continue to use the radio on SSB after doing those hacks. Take your pick: it is either a loud, hacked AM radio w/lousy SSB performance -OR- a decent unhacked AM radio with usable SSB.
You simply cannot have both.
Just my own experience after having to repair several of them. End of rant.

Using a Galaxy base station in a comfortable room temperature will exhibit little drift, so it should be fine for use. Using a Galaxy in a mobile setting will mean that attention and necessary adjustments should be expected. Doesn't mean that you cannot do that. I've been using a Galaxy radio in my mobile for almost a whole decade, I just get used to the drift issue by adjusting it when necessary.

I live in New England with cold winters. If I use a Galaxy in the mobile, on the cold days, it will have lots of drift, right? But when the radio and truck warm up, it will work much better? Do I understand correctly?

And if I get these radios from a good place, should I get them "tuned up"? Will that help with the drift problem?

I would get the Uniden radio that every one mentions, but I don't like the digital readout nor the push-buttons. I like good old-fashioned meters and knobs!

I live in New England with cold winters. If I use a Galaxy in the mobile, on the cold days, it will have lots of drift, right? But when the radio and truck warm up, it will work much better? Do I understand correctly?

And if I get these radios from a good place, should I get them "tuned up"? Will that help with the drift problem?

I would get the Uniden radio that every one mentions, but I don't like the digital readout nor the push-buttons. I like good old-fashioned meters and knobs!
1) I warm up my vehicle as a matter of course, since the engine also needs to be warmed up before operating. But -yes- I turn the heater on low/medium and let the radio get warmed up at the same time.

2) Haven't seen a Galaxy radio yet - out of the box - that didn't benefit from a complete alignment. Seems that the factory alignment aren't what they should be - IMO. Won't help the drift problem; but it will operate better than out of the box.

3) Whomever you send it to can have a huge effect on what you get. Beware of the Benihana slice n' dice artists; stay clear or they will have your radio sounding loud on AM but crapping out in SSB mode. This is very common. Just ask for a proper alignment and perhaps unlocking the clarifier. Be specific that you want NO limiters or resistors cut. JMHO . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
1) I warm up my vehicle as a matter of course, since the engine also needs to be warmed up before operating. But -yes- I turn the heater on low/medium and let the radio get warmed up at the same time.

2) Haven't seen a Galaxy radio yet - out of the box - that didn't benefit from a complete alignment. Seems that the factory alignment aren't what they should be - IMO. Won't help the drift problem; but it will operate better than out of the box.

3) Whomever you send it to can have a huge effect on what you get. Beware of the Benihana slice n' dice artists; stay clear or they will have your radio sounding loud on AM but crapping out in SSB mode. This is very common. Just ask for a proper alignment and perhaps unlocking the clarifier. Be specific that you want NO limiters or resistors cut. JMHO . . .

What does "unlocking the clarifier" mean?

And do you have a place in mind that I could order a new CB from that will also do the proper alignment that you suggest? Someone recommended Bobs CB. https://www.bobscb.com

i also know of http://wearecb.com But I'm not sure which is the best.

Thanks.

Most cb shops cannot do a proper alignment. Most will not spend the money for a good spectrum analyzer and keep it calibrated. Calibration is important to the quality of the work done.
A good frequency counter is need too!

Last edited:
What does "unlocking the clarifier" mean?

And do you have a place in mind that I could order a new CB from that will also do the proper alignment that you suggest? Someone recommended Bobs CB. https://www.bobscb.com

i also know of http://wearecb.com But I'm not sure which is the best.

Thanks.
Bob's should be OK. So would Bells CB. There are still other shops out there that a conscientious about what they do and how they do it..

Funny, I agree with everything you said here and the same applies to the majority of export and SSB cb radio's. Seems every time I mention it here there are always several that insist you don't need to have them properly tuned/aligned. Even with say a new 2950 having it at least checked over is a worth while thing to do.

Reactions: BammBamm
Funny, I agree with everything you said here and the same applies to the majority of export and SSB cb radio's. Seems every time I mention it here there are always several that insist you don't need to have them properly tuned/aligned. Even with say a new 2950 having it at least checked over is a worth while thing to do.
I wouldn't say that about the Uniden radios tho; they seem to be well tuned from the factory, regardless if they were a SSB radio or a standard AM unit. What I'd seen, anyway . . .

Reactions: LeapFrog
I wouldn't say that about the Uniden radios tho; they seem to be well tuned from the factory, regardless if they were a SSB radio or a standard AM unit. What I'd seen, anyway . . .

Indeed. The new Stryker radios also seem to be dead on frequency right out if the box.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.