• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio M400?

riverrat373

Aug 2, 2012
Are the Sirio M400 and the Workman M400 both made by Sirio? Back in the day I had the original Starduster and really liked it. Any comment on these two copies of the Starduster?

Last edited:

Are the Sirio M400 and the Workman M400 both made by Sirio? Back in the day I had the original Starduster and really liked it. Any comment on these two copies of the Starduster?
I currently have the Sirio M400 and it is an exact copy of the star duster. My M400 has been up in the air for 15 years and I need to change the coax but it still works.

373, below are two models at 36' feet over Average Earth.

One is a Starduster that includes a modified radial hub. However, it is very close to specs in the wire dimensions. So, it includes 4 radials and I did not add a capacitance device to the radiator. I added the four radials because of the hub modification I used.

The other model is a Sirio M400 is also close to specs. I used a simple 2" inch radial hub on this model and included the capacitance cap on the radiator per instructions.

Neither model is isolated (ISO) from the mast, however you may find you need to do something to help minimize common mode currents (CMC) on both of these antennas. Reason is...a lot depends on the installation and location when it comes to CMC issues or not.

I was a bit surprised to see both showing almost identical performance and match with a mast included in the models.

Attachments

• 373 models of the Starduster vs. Sirio M400..pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
373, below are two models at 36' feet over Average Earth.

One is a Starduster that includes a modified radial hub. However, it is very close to specs in the wire dimensions. So, it includes 4 radials and I did not add a capacitance device to the radiator. I added the four radials because of the hub modification I used.

The other model is a Sirio M400 is also close to specs. I used a simple 2" inch radial hub on this model and included the capacitance cap on the radiator per instructions.

Neither model is isolated (ISO) from the mast, however you may find you need to do something to help minimize common mode currents (CMC) on both of these antennas. Reason is...a lot depends on the installation and location when it comes to CMC issues or not.

I was a bit surprised to see both showing almost identical performance and match with a mast included in the models.

Thanks for taking the time to model this for us!

373, I did the Starduster model below with only 3 radials. It shows gain = 2.49 dBi @ 10* degrees with a Return Loss = 45.4 dB and that is a big difference compared to the Sirio M400 at 27.4 dB Retrun Loss.

Compare this efficiency value to the two models posted above. You will see the Return Loss on the SWR scans, noted as the last data element.

Some have said that 4 radials is much better than 3 radials, but this model does not support that idea.

Attachments

• Starduster with 3 radials.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Eddie,
If return loss was a measure of efficiency it would be a massive difference but return loss is just a different way to express vswr, higher is better,

1:1 vswr = infinite return loss, infinite vswr = 0 return loss,

a small tweak down on the 3 radial angle should demonstrate the relationship between return loss & vswr

sirio m400 radials are not as steep as the original starduster ,

sirio tube is not the same quality & the sirio hub is made from the same sintered crap as the other sirio hubs, not machined billet aluminum like the original.

sirio does use better quality tube than the m400 clone i bought & sold again a few years ago that did have a billet hub & looked much closer to a real starduster.

Tallman,
all sirio antennas with "diecast" hubs are made from sintered monkey metal,

look on sirio's website at the hub, its nothing like an A/S starduster, it looks like the signal keeper loft antenna hub,

all the clones i have seen use various styles of billet hub, i have a sirio hub a cte hub and an unbranded hub somewhere in the garrage.

Tallman,
all sirio antennas with "diecast" hubs are made from sintered monkey metal,

look on sirio's website at the hub, its nothing like an A/S starduster, it looks like the signal keeper loft antenna hub,

all the clones i have seen use various styles of billet hub, i have a sirio hub a cte hub and an unbranded hub somewhere in the garrage.

No bob, you are wrong. Mine is billet aluminum. If my antenna had showed up with "Monkey Metal" hub, it would not have been installed. I cannot tell what type of metal it is from a rather poor photograph..

I do believe in the past the cast part was used, but I have never seen one

Tallman

i have a broken sirio m400 and a few clones in my antenna graveyard along with several vectors 827's gainmasters & parts of other sirio base antennas,

my buddy bought a new sirio m400 a few weeks ago, i will ask him if they changed the hub,

look at page 5 of the user manual where you will see a clear picture and description of the "die cast" hub made of the same stuff all the other sirio hubs are made of,

if yours is that shape its made of monkey metal,
machining something that shape is too costly for an inexpensive cb antenna,

sirio do things as cheap as possible by using the same parts hubs & tube for multiple antenna models,

http://www.sirioantenne.it/images/pdf/manuals/id-387_starduster_m-400_10-09-2011.pdf

Hi again guys can someone tell me which starduster copy is as close to the original A/S m400 Starduster please ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated