• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio sy 27-4 4 element beam rotor information

boxcar112

Apr 13, 2010
Hello I need some advice on a rotor to buy to turn the sirio 4 element beam the rotor i'm looking at to purchase is a hygain ar35 light weight tv antenna rotor.I was wondering if this rotor would do the trick for what I need or should I just buy a hygain ar40 because i'm on a budget I don't want to waste money on this rotor if it won't work.I think this antenna only weighs about 13 pounds.I would mount a 3 foot mast to the top of my tower and then mount a 5 foot mast on top of the rotor and then mount the antenna on top of that.Another question I have is it says on the sirio website this antenna has horizontal polarization I was wanting to mount it vertical so I can direct my signal vertical instead of horizontal any ideals?This will be the second beam I ever ran I had and ran a maco 103c on a 35ft tower before and I just wasn't happy with it's performance so that why i'm going to put up a 4 element beam this time and see how it performs for me.I want to be able to talk to my friends about 65 miles from me.I will be running a older black face rci 2950 with a superstar dm452 echo power mike and a cobra xl250 2 pill amp behind the radio.Hopefully some body can tell me if the hygain ar35 will hold up turning this antenna because i'm going to concrete the tower in the ground about 4ft.I don't want to have to take the tower down later to change rotors I don't climb towers i'm scared of heights lol.

Last edited:

I'm no expert but research shows that rotator is rated for 6 meter beams and loops and I believe your antenna is for the 11 meter band and will have considerably more wind load so the ar-40 or the cd-45II would be a much more reliable choice.

Thanks for the info mackmobile43 i'm thinking about buying a yaesu g450a with control box from ham radio outlet for $250 or a rebuilt cd44 with control box from norms rotor service for $299.00.I talked to a guy today from ham radio outlet and he said he has a yaesu g450a turning a beam for 13years or more and never had any trouble out of it.I been doing some researching and I think the yaesu or cd44 would be a better rotor than the hygain ar40.The yaesu g450a has a 10 square feet wind load and the cd44 has a 7.5 sqaure feet wind load and the hygain ar40 has a 3 square feet wind load.

Yeah I would rather do things right the first time.I just hope after I spend all this money that the antenna works pretty good.I had a maco 103c before and I thought it was junk.

555 why wouldn't you see a difference in going from a 3 element to a 4 element beam.The 4 element has 1 more element and a longer boom so wouldn't that mean the 4 element would have more gain.

555 why wouldn't you see a difference in going from a 3 element to a 4 element beam.The 4 element has 1 more element and a longer boom so wouldn't that mean the 4 element would have more gain.
Yes I too would like to hear his reasoning for that comment.:whistle:

Better f/b, slightly higher forward gain, but more restricted bandwidth in most cases. Huge difference? no.

I sent Norm a money order for a rebuilt Alliant U-100 a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it, but I think for a new rotor the G-450 would be a better choice than the HyGain rotors-- bear in mind that if you want to use 1 1/4" mast with that rotor you have to use Yaesu's adapter plates to keep everything concentric.

Rick

Electrical Data - Type:
SY 27-3: 3 element Yagi antenna
SY 27-4: 4 element Yagi antenna
-Frequency range:
SY 27-3: 26.1-27.7 MHz @ SWR ≤ 2
SY 27-4: 26.9-27.5 MHz @ SWR ≤ 2
-Impedance: 50Ω -Radiation (H-plane): directional -Polarization: linear horizontal -Gain:
SY 27-3: 8.5 dBd, 10.65 dBi
SY 27-4: 11 dBd, 13.15 dBi
-Bandwidth @ SWR ≤ 2:
SY 27-3: ≥ 1800 KHz (160 channel)
SY 27-4: ≥ 600 KHz (55 channel)
-SWR @ res. freq.: ≤ 1.2 -Max. power:
1000 Watts (CW) continuous
3000 Watts (CW) short time
-Feed system / position: Gamma match / center -Connector: UHF-female

Sirio 3 element 8.5 dBd 10.65 dBi Sirio 4 element 11 dBd 13.15 dBi doesn't this information mean the 4 element has more gain than the 3 element that means to me the 4 element would out perform the 3 element because I always thought the more gain a antenna had the better it is going to tx and rx.

Sirio 3 element 8.5 dBd 10.65 dBi Sirio 4 element 11 dBd 13.15 dBi doesn't this information mean the 4 element has more gain than the 3 element that means to me the 4 element would out perform the 3 element because I always thought the more gain a antenna had the better it is going to tx and rx.

That's exactly what it means, there are those who will come here and make one liner comments with the mindset that their 6 or 7 element setup is far superior compared to the 4 element not taking the time to mention that is what they based their one liner comment on.

If the bandwidth is lower on the 4 element compared to the 3 element that means that it is more efficient for the bandwidth it is capable of good impedance at.

Sure you can get better performance with more elements but there has to be a cut off at how much bandwidth you're willing to do without.

So that maybe the way you want to approach it when making your selection.

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make":D

So have I, though I deal with commercial antennas (yagi, parabolic, conical, panel, LP) and feedlines for a living every day. Having one additional yagi director adding nearly 3 dBd forward gain sounds suspect to me. That doesn't even happen going from 2 elements to 3.

(And a 2 element yagi is a very underrated antenna for HF, though I doubt many would use them at 27 MHz.)

Not saying their 4 element is not a good antenna, but it would be interesting to see their test data. 11 dBd at what angle, for example. Anyway, that's what I meant when I said not a huge difference, I won't try to speak for anyone else.

I'm curious-- what about the Maco 103 in the original post made it "junk"- quality of the tubing/boom, hardware, etc., or the performance? I don't have a dog in this fight, just asking. I came close to buying one and modifying it and decided to do something else instead.

Rick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated