• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio sy 27-4 4 element beam rotor information

i have actually had a 3 element then went and bought a 4 and then found out that the 5 and 6 actually made a difference on my end
i was just stating a fact that i actually found out myself and not out of a book.

if had known what i know now about the 3 and the 4 and now the 5 and 6 element

then i would have gone straight from the 3 to the 6
and saved my money
but thats my opinion

i have actually had a 3 element then went and bought a 4 and then found out that the 5 and 6 actually made a difference on my end
i was just stating a fact that i actually found out myself and not out of a book.

if had known what i know now about the 3 and the 4 and now the 5 and 6 element

then i would have gone straight from the 3 to the 6
and saved my money
but thats my opinion

Having had experience with all the above and even a 7 element I would prefer the old moon raker 6 over any of the others but not having the room to spin one on my property leaves me sad but to the originator of this post more is always gooder.:laugh:

One thing I had not considered is using the yagi vertically-- in this case the 4 element's DE would be farther from the mast and rotor than that of the 3 element beam-- that could be a factor where the 4 element would perform better just because of less pattern distortion.

That's a different subject though.

But I'd agree, a 6 element yagi would be expected to have noticeably different performance than a 3 element in most situations.

Rick

Ha! Yeah...

Higher than a 3 element, or higher than it would be mounted in a vertical plane? That should be "yes" on the first count and probably also on the second unless the vertical beam were several wavelenths above ground. That would be one very tall tower! But all else being equal (same height above ground, etc.) a 4 element yagi should have around 1.5 dB more forward gain on average than a similar 3 element yagi. I won't go so far as to say it's not worth it, but I have to wonder how many would really notice it, just using their ears and an S-meter. Probably not many, and I won't claim that I'd be able to in a blindfold test.

Ha! Yeah...

Higher than a 3 element, or higher than it would be mounted in a vertical plane? That should be "yes" on the first count and probably also on the second unless the vertical beam were several wavelenths above ground. That would be one very tall tower! But all else being equal (same height above ground, etc.) a 4 element yagi should have around 1.5 dB more forward gain on average than a similar 3 element yagi. I won't go so far as to say it's not worth it, but I have to wonder how many would really notice it, just using their ears and an S-meter. Probably not many, and I won't claim that I'd be able to in a blindfold test.

Why don't we eliminate the human error part and just rely on the S-unit meter.(y)

Ha, well, S meters are not exactly precision instruments and are about as likely to reflect 1.5 db as someone's ears... That's a very small difference.

Anyway, back to the thread, the G-450 should work just fine with an antenna of this size (and larger).

Just a comment about the rotor -- Yaesu makes good ones, but when they go bad, there aren't very many places that repair them. Or there weren't just a few years ago. Maybe Norm and the other rotor repair facilities DO work on Yaesus now.

I, personally, would stick with CDE (now Hy-Gain). Proven design, easy to work on, and reliable.

Just a comment about the rotor -- Yaesu makes good ones, but when they go bad, there aren't very many places that repair them. Or there weren't just a few years ago. Maybe Norm and the other rotor repair facilities DO work on Yaesus now.

I, personally, would stick with CDE (now Hy-Gain). Proven design, easy to work on, and reliable.

Pat, Norm still refuses to service Yaesu rotators. He says he has a problem getting parts. Yaesu rotators are serviced out of the Vertex/Standard service facility in Cyprus California.
I will vouch for the CDE/Hy-Gain rotators but will be giving Yaesu a try this fall/winter. I am looking at a Yaesu G-2800DXA.

Good point, but look at who owns HyGain now. I'd probably spring for a rebuilt CDE from Norm if I were not comfortable with the long term outlook on a Yaesu rotor.

I'll refrain from bashing the parent company, but I've had similar issues with them that piles of people complain about.

Rick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.