• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio vector 4000

LW-150 is the model descriptor that was given to the Larry Sigma clone, if indeed it is a Larry, its not a copy of the Sirio... and since all of these are off shoots of the Sigma IV, what is the copy:confused:

As a side note, I talked to Dago971 on the band last night after he read this thread.

He said that he talked to Sirio -in Italy- before he bought his antenna. Turns out that the H&Y Electronics isn't selling the genuine Sirio product, but a imitation of the Sirio. H&Y is selling a COPY of the Sirio Vector 4000, they have given it the part designation of "LW-150".

Dago971 told me that he bought his Sirio Vector 4000 from an eBay shop. They sell it for $150/shipped.

H&Y does import the real Sirio product. I don't know who you talked to in Italy but Stefania will confirm this is the case if you need it from the source. That's a real Sirio box and label on the Vector 4000. H&Y has just requested they label all of their Vectors as LW-150 units.

H&Y does import the real Sirio product. I don't know who you talked to in Italy but Stefania will confirm this is the case if you need it from the source. That's a real Sirio box and label on the Vector 4000. H&Y has just requested they label all of their Vectors as LW-150 units.

I didn't talk to anybody - except for Dago971.
Re-read...

I didn't talk to anybody - except for Dago971.
Re-read...

The basic information is still the same. The LW-150 sold by H&Y is the new Vector 4000 made by Sirio for H&Y. The only change between a new Vector 4000 and the new LW-150 is the print on the green box label. Look at the connector bracket used on these new models. The Sirio name is molded into the casting on both the LW-150 and the Vector 4000.

The 106.69 inches is longer then I would have expected because the radials and loop together are suppose to form an electrical 1/4 wavelength. This measurement does contradict the statements made in the original Avanti patent. It does however support the results Bob has obtained and my findings on the FM broadcast band. The FM design gain peaked out with 1/4 wave radials also.

30 years later the Sigma still seems to be the least understood of all verticals. To date there is not a single antenna calculator to design one. NEC can't even begin to accurately model the design. Seems the only solution is more in the field testing to confirm the measurements are producing maximum gain.

i dont know what to make of the extended radial sleeve,
you can be sure i will be testing longer radials than i have in the past and finding the best monopole length to go with it at my location,
i wont be using sofware even if i knew how to use it correctly which i dont,
cebik already told me that design would be very difficult to model accurately,
EZBOB is good enough for me,
i dont need to understand exactly how it works to get the best performance from it, i would like to but its not likely and believe me i have tried so has toll-free,
the antenna does what is claimed by avanti, bob85, shockwave, freecell, toll-free, wolf radio, and others, plus a very much possible from cebik,

there is only one sure tuning method i know of that does work and thats the method me and shockwave have been using more or less since the design first came out, tweak and peak a distant stable signal,
i would pit my method against any software you care to use;)

The basic information is still the same. The LW-150 sold by H&Y is the new Vector 4000 made by Sirio for H&Y. The only change between a new Vector 4000 and the new LW-150 is the print on the green box label. Look at the connector bracket used on these new models. The Sirio name is molded into the casting on both the LW-150 and the Vector 4000.

I can see by the pictures posted that this is true. However, I will contact Dago971 and talk to him about this - as I am as curious about his claim as much as anyone.

BTW - I believe the we had a QSO the other day on 38/LSB from your QTH. You were using the Vector 4000 or the Sigma 4 - can't remember at the moment. Didya get your batteries charged up yet? I'm monitoring 38/LSB most of the time...WR-11...

Hey Everyone, SOrry it took so long to post, I had some troubles activating the Account.

Anyhow I just talked with H&Y Electronics and they said that "LW-150" is their own internal Part Number. Anyhow, the box and manual looked exactly like the one I got so I imagine it is probably legit.

I don't however recall seeing the bright green sticker that said "NEW VECTOR". I'll have to double check when I get home. I still have the box all folded down flat.

In any event, the Antenna is a radio operator's dream... it receives fantastically and paired up with my Yaesu FT-101 I have been getting a lot of compliments on the quality of my broadcasting. You can check out some of the watergates I have posted. YouTube - crazydago's Channel

I have noticed that there appears to be receive gain as well as output gain. I seem to be hearing my locals a lot better. Perhaps thats due to the antenna being almost a full wavelength so it resonates well.

One thing I was amazed at was that after setting it up and following the instructions exactly we were ready to adjust the gamma match, however we didn't need to... It was perfectly flat. the instructions give a 10mm window for adjustment and we set it right in the middle the first time around. We checked it with a Telewave meter and there is absolutely ZERO reflect. Even when we turned the linear on, running 250 watts there was ZERO reflect. I run a SWR meter with my watt meter during normal broadcasts and the most I've ever seen it jump to is 1.1

I am extremely satisfied with the purchase and I think for $150 it's really the best bang for the buck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.