• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Soldering

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
How does this look on B to C is it exceptable or what?

image.jpg

B - looks to be cold or disturbed while cooling.
C - the wire appears to be sitting on top of the solder.

Neither one is good. I'd put a bit of flux on the wire at C and reheat it so the wire is IN the connection. Let it flow so the whole terminal gets heated, and don't touch it while it's cooling.

And then do the same thing to B. The terminals should be smooth and shiny, with the conductors definitely secure.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
There is a lot of solder debris left loose and terminal "A" looks a little shabby. The debris is solder balls and a large one near R27 at the top of the board. Add flux to A, B, and C and reheat. Other than that not too bad.

Looks better. It's hard to tell when I zoom on the pic because it gets fuzzy but it looks like the gap between the two points at A could be cleaner. Curious...what did you just bridge? An amp I assume?

Kidding aside, soldering on a circuit board is almost an art...takes a lot of practice. I built many kits over the years to learn the right way to flow solder onto those leads. Even whan I was a youngster I still used a light with a magnifier to really be able to see whats goin on down there.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Picture her a bit better.

I'm 54 have not soldered since @19 was good at it but threw time, hands shake and eyes go bad and life is limited from age and other things so doing best I can.
LOL!!!

Yes it is an amp bridging for use on 240v

Last edited:
I hear ya, I'm 58 now and am ok with the soldering but my de-solder skills are pitiful :)

Your solder job looks ok but there is definatly some shiney solder crud between the points at A. I'd clean that out a but more.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.