1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

somebody please come up with some hacks for FRS/GMRS "blisterpack" radios

Discussion in 'MURS / FRS / GMRS' started by towerdog, Jun 22, 2010.

1. towerdog

towerdog one-niner-seven

Turn a pot to deviate frequency, add a bnc connector without ruining the plastic shell, hack the firmware, press a combo of buttons to make it rx or go out of band, come on, there must be something devious to be done with this little toys, as for most of the applications they are marketed for, they suck so we reprogram UHF 'business radios' to talk on their frequencies instead.

2. doctor

doctor Supporting Member

A lot of work..just go to reddog radios and buy a refurbished h/t for what you need.

DOCTOR/795

3. towerdog

towerdog one-niner-seven

yeah thats easy hacking the spectrum, but i wanna hack the little radios which is the whole fun of it

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

Best possible 'hack' for those things is with a chopping axe. It just wouldn't be worth the trouble.
    - 'Doc

5. scout943

scout943 Active Member

Make a real antenna for it ,six and five sixteenth inches . GOOGLE an antenna calculater for the correct lenghth. it makes a differencs !! Made mine from an old 3 sixteenth plumig snake . nice and flexable coverd with shrink tubing Mine are COBRA PR 3000 radios.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  6. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

If you want a radio that is capable of doing illegal things, buy a radio that was specifically designed to this this. Buy a ham radio! Regardless of what the band limitations of these radios are, nearly all are designed to do exactly what they are not supposed to do. It takes extra time and money to make the software flexible enough to do this and you have to plan ahead for the feature. GMRS and FRS radios are bare bones equipment without these options.

7. towerdog

towerdog one-niner-seven

guess these little radios are too lame to be hacked. I read somewhere there was one frs/gmrs that could be made to scan about 5 or 10mhz of the uhf band.
    i know dude, its easy to clip a few diodes on a vx-7, buy a motorola commerical radio and programming cable, or just buy a chinese "ht" for $60 on ebay with full coverage from 400-512mhz out the box, all these would work very well on frs/gmrs, dot frequencies, etc.

there really is no point to hacking a frs/gmrs other than somehthing to do. they are generally much less output, even on frs, typically less than 400mw, some might even be technically under part 15, and very few put out more than a watt on gmrs. i'me just playing with toys, just fooling around with whats in the junk box.

8. kc8adu

kc8adu Active Member

the receivers stink too.best mod is to leave them on the shelf at wallyworld.
    or give them to the kids so they can talk to their buddies 2 blocks away on a good day.

9. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Well-Known Member

For the money they are fun to mess with. I wish they had a mag mount antenna port for use in the car. Even if it was a small 8-10" antenna being on the roof would really help.

1 person likes this.