• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

speech compression on ssb

I'll check into that. I'll have to rename my 959 as KING KONG:eek:

More like a 'Galaxy/Magnum 959'.

These high performance products work so well, Magnum International is using them in their new Omega Force S45 radio as well as any future radios in their lineup.

You won't need to use your K-40 mic either.
The TG compressor is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
In the XYL's truck is a dx979 with a TG Comp and TG Mod. Stock mic and she gets "turn it down" all the time. Thats the only mods to the radio. On SSB it rocks for performance (for a single final Galaxy)

Reactions: 1 person
Magnum Top Gun & Compressor

In the XYL's truck is a dx979 with a TG Comp and TG Mod. Stock mic and she gets "turn it down" all the time. Thats the only mods to the radio. On SSB it rocks for performance (for a single final Galaxy)

Amen to that! I sent an email to DTB for his professional opinion. What you posted gives me hope for my 959. :D

Attachments

• K40%20mic%202.jpg
    K40%20mic%202.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 84
  • K40%20mic.jpg
    K40%20mic.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 9
One of the worst things you can do is run more than one point of amplification/compression. You should not and really have no need to run an amplified microphone cranked up or compressor type mic into a radio that has a compressor installed. Moderation is the key to GREAT audio. Forget the "all knobs to the right/loud and proud" idiocy that is so prevalent on the band. Go for quality not quantity.

Reactions: 4 people
One of the worst things you can do is run more than one point of amplification/compression. You should not and really have no need to run an amplified microphone cranked up or compressor type mic into a radio that has a compressor installed. Moderation is the key to GREAT audio. Forget the "all knobs to the right/loud and proud" idiocy that is so prevalent on the band. Go for quality not quantity.

I do like a certain amount of echo/reverb. I've emailed DTB Radios for his opinion about the Magnum Top Gun & Compressor boards. If I can have what you said in one point of amplification then I would. The 2018 mic I have was a band aid approach without having one installed in the radio. This was before I found out about all of these nice mods that can be done. ;)

Audio processing or compression does two things. It compensates for an audio input that isn't the best in the world, and it really does change the audio 'quality'. Most mics or audio sources (microphones) don't require processing anymore. So turning a compressor/processor down typically does more good than not. As far as the audio's change, that's a matter of choice/preference and there are 'better' ways of doing it than just using a processor. The bottom line is that a little bit goes a -very- long way.
If you want to increase the signal strength then audio processing is a terrible way of doing that, it doesn't increase 'strength' at all, only 'how' you hear the audio.
- 'Doc

Just a little true story about the detriments of too much audio processing:

Back when I was in the broadcast business I had a visit from a field services engineer at Broadcast Electronics, manufacturer of commercial broadcast transmitters based in Quincy Illinois. Bill was down my way combining a little vacation time with business by visiting some clients along the way. A year or so before we had purchased several Marti UHF studio/transmitter link transmitters from BE. He asked what form of processing I was using on my FM system as he was listening to it while driving and commented how great it sounded. Coming from Bill that was a compliment as he knew his stuff. I mentioned that all I had was an AGC (automatic gain controller) aka AVC (automatic level controller) in the last part of the audio chain before the STL link and then an Orban Optimod processor at the transmitter with very moderate gain/compression settings. He was even more amazed that the transmitter being used was still a mid sixties vintage Harris FM5-H tube transmitter and a twenty-something year old Harris solidstate exciter. He then relayed an experiance he had with a client in the southeast USA. This client had purchased a brand new state of the art FM broadcast transmitter but was having trouble with the audio quality. Numerous calls were made to BE and several replacement parts kits were shipped from BE to the client effect for field replacement of various modules all of which failed to make any difference. Everything was considered right down to ambient temperature in the transmitter house.Eventually it was decided that BE would send Bill down to the client to see what the problem was. What he found upon arrival was that the station engineer had installed an audio compressor on the master studio microphone to give the announcers more punch. There was another processor on the main audio output from the audio console. This audio was then fed intoyet another processor on the input of the the UHF link transmitter before sending it out to the transmitter site where it was then routed through an Orban Optimod processor before finally going into the new transmitter. Bill cut out the mic processor and main console processor but left the Orban processor at the TX site and made some adjustments to it. He reduced the level of compression mainly. He also left the processor inline back at the studios that fed the UHF STL link but set it so there was hardly any compression at all but mainly acted as an AGC. The improvement was like night and day. The station engineer was acting under pressure from the owner to be the loudest station on the dial and in doing so had so much processing that the station sounded like crap. There was no dynamic range left in the audio. Even the station owner was impressed with how good his station finally sounded after seeing for himself the difference a little knowledge about what truly is the best way to do things and thinking what sounds best.

I just thought I would relay that experience as it demonstrates just how too much processing can yield the exact opposite result of what you are trying to achieve in the first place.

Reactions: 3 people
I do agree with CK that it is essential to have those audio 'ducks in a row'. IMO - the TG products in the OmegaForce S45 do work outstanding. But like he said, you won't want to run the K-40 mic (which already has a compression circuit in it) with your radio if you have the TG stuff in your radio. Too much compression is as bad as not enough.

Adjusting your mic gain is important if you have the TG stuff in it.
Not difficult to adjust the mic gain to get the 'sweet spot'.

Been running the OmegaForce all week and it really is xlnt when TXing .
Gets nothing but great reports on AM or SSB.

The TG Modulator works much like an a AM NPC/RC mod for modulation peaks well over 100% w/o square waving. That is a guess at this point; but if one looks where it is installed one would also draw the same conclusions. Don't know the actual % numbers and I may throw it on my O'scope and see for myself. The right way to have it installed is to keep the AM Limiter intact, as this is the way that Magnum builds their radios. Doing it this way will keep the radio intact w/o any compromise to SSB function.

Last edited:
I do agree with CK that it is essential to have those audio 'ducks in a row'. IMO - the TG products in the OmegaForce S45 do work outstanding. But like he said, you won't want to run the K-40 mic (which already has a compression circuit in it) with your radio if you have the TG stuff in your radio.

Adjusting your mic gain is important if you have the TG stuff in it.
Not difficult to adjust the mic gain to get the 'sweet spot'.

Been running the OmegaForce all week and it really is xlnt when TXing .
Gets nothing but great reports on AM or SSB.

The TG Modulator works much like an a AM NPC/RC mod for modulation peaks well over 100% w/o square waving. That is a guess at this point; but if one looks where it is installed one would also draw the same conclusions. Don't know the actual % numbers and I may throw it on my O'scope and see for myself. The right way to have it installed is to keep the AM Limiter intact, as this is the way that Magnum builds their radios. Doing it this way will keep the radio intact w/o any compromise to SSB function.

I agree. I've read on that very subject last night on how it acts like a NPC/RC mod. I talked with DTB about the Magnum Top Gun And Compressor circuit and I'm sticking with His standard transmit upgrades to see how that goes. I would have to find out how much compression the K40 S P mic does. It's not as loud as a 2018. When I get my 959 back then I'll get to experience a proper tune and align on a cb radio. Everyone that lives down in my neck of the woods have splatter boxes. I'll find out from them just how good my 959 does and then give DTB some more business hopefully. :pop:

Just remember that most operators of splatter boxes would not know good audio if it smacked them side the head.They cannot differentiate between loud but clean and loud and splattery. They just think that if they are splattering across the band then they must be getting out good.A box that splatters does not mean it is putting out an awesome signal just a dirty one.

BTW while we are talking processors, is the SP1A the same as the TGM unitÉ I have no idea. I have an SP1A installed in my 2950 and it is set for moderate compression and works AWESOME. I also have another SP1A in a box that I use for playing around with especially with my Heath DX-60 transmitter.

splatter boxes vs. loud clean audio

Amen! After spending time on this site with you guys,I'm beginning to appreciate good clean audio and can't stand crappy audio. I'm a rookie sound man trainee at the church I attend and I'm learning new things about sound. Our equipment uses compression. Here's a link to Coppertalk about K40 Speech Processor mic comments. If you glean through the Ebay rejects comments,you'll find some info about these mics. I still have mine I bought new in the early Eighties. Copper Talk :pop:

Last edited:
I hate to throw in something else to consider but the SP1A Speech Processor was out before the Top Guns and always got good reviews when properly installed.

Transmitter Kits For CB & 10 Meter Radio

Richard "Sharpshooter" at 8541 Electronics used to install these as well as Bob's CB.

I was checking that out last night when I was a googling speech processor. Does anyone have some hard data on this?:pop:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.