• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

speech compression on ssb

the top gun only works on am anyways. [at least in my magnum]
the sp-1 speech processor works in both
id forget about the top gun all together especially since you said for ssb .
id take the sp-1 speech processor and radio to DTB who did the work
orignally and have him install it.

Yeah. I did mention about using compression on SSB. I asked DTB advice about the SP-1 back last December. That's why I didn't get it then. I wanted his personal opinion and not what i thought i wanted. He just set up my 959 to work without it. I still have other radios that I could experiment with and leave the 959 alone. It's kinda like taking a Ferrari and go mud bogging with it. One thing I'm interested in is how to adjust the AMC and learn how all those circuits work in the audio chain.

Last edited:
TGT Modulation Control
"the Top Gun Compressor works in AM, FM, and SSB keeping the modulation at peak performance in all these modes."
Like I said earlier,I may just build the Lou Franklin Speech Processor board that I bought from him. That's a clipping processor.

i know what the manufacture states. but on my omegaforce on ssb i tried several
times no one could tell the difference on ssb. on am it allowed higher swings from
lower carrier with a clean signal. never tried it on fm...hmmm.no one knew what
i was doing until after i got thier opinions. redmancb carries a compression mike
called the jcd -201 that sounds good local here has 1. also mfj makes one but
unsure of model number ,but has a built in eq ,interesting

i know what the manufacture states. but on my omegaforce on ssb i tried several
times no one could tell the difference on ssb. on am it allowed higher swings from
lower carrier with a clean signal. never tried it on fm...hmmm.no one knew what
i was doing until after i got thier opinions. redmancb carries a compression mike
called the jcd -201 that sounds good local here has 1. also mfj makes one but
unsure of model number ,but has a built in eq ,interesting

Cool! I think that some radios wouldn't benefit from the compressor mod and others might but that's just my opinion. How did you like the JCD-201? I've been looking at this mike audio amp from Redman CB
Microphone Amplifier*|*Redman CB Stop
Just as a note,my DTB tuned radios have the modulation set right around 100% modulation. That being said, I keep the modulation from splattering the band. I'm more concerned with boosting my low tone voice but without the bassiness. The Astactic 636L&Road Devil cleans my voice up nicely. I have the RD on my CRE-8900. It sounds better than the stock mic.

Last edited:
Cool! I think that some radios wouldn't benefit from the compressor mod and others might but that's just my opinion. How did you like the JCD-201? I've been looking at this mike audio amp from Redman CB
Just as a note,my DTB tuned radios have the modulation set right around 100% modulation. That being said, I keep the modulation from splattering the band. I'm more concerned with boosting my low tone voice but without the bassiness. The Astactic 636L&Road Devil cleans my voice up nicely. I have the RD on my CRE-8900. It sounds better than the stock mic.

the jcd is owned by a local here not me but its very clean sounding . not nasily sounding
like a d104. and not too much bass either.i never been impressed by the road devil
but thats me. id rather have a 2018 and i dont even use the eheo ..lol. just has a mellower
tone it.i think compression can help most radios. expection is if it already has it built in
radio then i dont know

As I said before just pick up an old Tuner +3b or Super Sidekick and you will be happy. The D104 is NOT an SSB mike unless you used the 10-DA head. You can also get the best one out the Astatic 1104c which is far better than any listed here except for maybe the Super sidekick.

Reactions: 1 person
If you like the D-104 you can replace the element with a electret condenser to add bass response. Use a 10 k ohm resistor from the positive terminal of the 9 volt battery to the positive side of the element and a 1000 pf coupling cap in series with the audio wire from the element. Experiment with the value of the coupling cap to control the level of bass response desired. Using a 470 pf cap provided good response for AM but the 1000 pf cap is likely to give the extra bass most people like on SSB. Make sure you reuse the padding in front of the original element. Without this the electret will pick up annoying breath pops and distortion as a result.

If you like the D-104 you can replace the element with a electret condenser to add bass response. Use a 10 k ohm resistor from the positive terminal of the 9 volt battery to the positive side of the element and a 1000 pf coupling cap in series with the audio wire from the element. Experiment with the value of the coupling cap to control the level of bass response desired. Using a 470 pf cap provided good response for AM but the 1000 pf cap is likely to give the extra bass most people like on SSB. Make sure you reuse the padding in front of the original element. Without this the electret will pick up annoying breath pops and distortion as a result.

I used to have a TUG9 years ago but I like loud but clean audio for cutting through. They sell mic cartilage kits for D-104's and I've found a mod that can tailor the tone of one's voice. Right now almost all of my communications are mobile but a nice desk mic for the base would be nice.
Check this mic out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 30
I've got a bunch of hand held Turners, +3 blue and white, Road King 60's, would be more than glad to share for a good price and I will include a new bettery

As I said before just pick up an old Tuner +3b or Super Sidekick and you will be happy. The D104 is NOT an SSB mike unless you used the 10-DA head. You can also get the best one out the Astatic 1104c which is far better than any listed here except for maybe the Super sidekick.

i agree with this. i got a 10da head its good but i still think a tunerplus 3/3b with the
built in compression beats ANY astaic
2nd /i like the tuner plus 2 [blue] and supersidekick.
3rd astaic d104 w/ ssb head. in stock form it doesnt have the bass as a tuner
but is better than any other d104 ive tried.it actually has what id call a flat response
not much bass ,but definately not tinny sounding. jmo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?