• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955HP SSB - hitting stores this week

I have seen them on a couple of websites listed as $389 plus extra for
peak and tune. Puts it over $400 plus tax. Still, a bit high priced to me.
I think I will wait and see some reviews. New rigs always tempt me. But,
when you get near $500 for a new, single band rig, that is a bit much.
It would need to have some great features (besides 6 roger beeps!) to
tempt me enough to even pay $400 for one.
Guess, I'm just a cheapskate at heart!
trucker

Reactions: 1 person
I told you guys they were going to be pricey :) I got mine last week but was on the road so going to give it a run through this week and should have a video and more information by the end of the week.

At $379 or so I'm not sure if they priced themselves too high but we'll see if people are willing to spend the cash.

** Unboxed the radio and it does not come with software or cable. Tried messing around with some variation of buttons held in to see if radio can be bumped into expanded mode without software but so far haven't found the magic combination.

Radio has a couple of second delay when you turn it on before it powers up, also there is short 1/2 sec delay when switching between modes. Tested out on 10 meters and USB is putting out 70+ watts.

It seems to use a very similar software to the Alpha Max/CRE 8900 but it is missing some of the menu functions found on the CRE. Until I get the low down on the conversion I'm testing in 10 meters, radio does have a VFO but first thing I noticed is the only way to change the steps seems to be through the function menu. I was excited to have the VFO function but unless there is a way to easily change your tuning steps without going into the function menu I would think this radio wouldn't be as easy for 10 meter use as something like a 2950DX etc.

Last edited:
What a disappointment that the cable and software was not included. Just means more $$$

I would buy a 2970N2 before shelling out the $$$ they want for this thing. I am sure the pretty lights and 6 roger beeps will excite some folks, unfortunately, these same people should be spending that kind of money on baby food and diapers.

Reactions: 2 people
So Stryker must be following our threads here :) I got an email from them this morning with some info that I'll relay here.

As a company they are definitely are right on top of stuff so I was happy to hear from them so quickly on this.

They confirmed that the USB cable WILL be included with the radios and that there was just a mistake with the first batch where it wasn't put in the box and they offered to send one out. So I'm guessing anyone else who didn't get the cable/software will be able to get one from them.

They also mentioned that on the VFO they are working on some software upgrades to make using it easier (changing steps, etc). Because the radio uses firmware and is programmable they said they can roll out newer software versions and users can just update.

I should be able to really get into the radio more in the next couple of nights so by the end of the week I should have a better overall picture to convey to you guys.

hmm

if i bought one half of the stuff on the radio
i would never use like the echo beeps crazy lights
they would give me a seizure

the video

Is it normal to run 14.9v DC in? I guess that may explain the high watts?
If there are only two finals and probably irf520 they might be getting a tad stressed at those power levels....
The back of the radio resembles the Cree 8900 but the stryker does not have the CW option enabled yet but it has the jack.
I wonder what it puts out at 13.8v
and does it have the heat build up around the audio chip like the others of this build?
other than the price it does look interesting.

I'm sure the bleeps and the lights are selling points for some but if you can live without these ghey features you could import a CRE or Intek for less.

Wow...

What a disappointment that the cable and software was not included. Just means more $$$

Oh come on.. The cable is a very standard USB cable that fits about 80-85% of all the cameras, mp3 players etc. If you gotta get one at walmart, will set you back about $3.00

As for the software, I write my own, but, I am sure that there are tons of packages out there that will let you do basic stuff...

Not sure about anything else on this rig, I have been calling around to see if I could get some specifics, but either they have sold their initial allotment, or just are not answering the phone.

Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.