• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR Antenna Analyzers?

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
Which would be best for the money and why? and what's the big difference between the SWR Antenna Analyzer MFJ259B vs MFJ-259C?

Thanks

The difference between the B and C versions?
Just designates major revisions of the same model.

There are more expensive antenna analyzers than the MFJ's, But it will do just fine so long as you don't abuse it and be careful with it.

Thanks,

Basically I am just a tinkerer, I love thinking up antenna ideas and like just to see what I can do workout having to always key down or hope my math aka.. 640/**.***.** comes out right
Ect ect lol

Even swl like to get as close as close can be even if to fool it into thinking it is, via coils to shorten it but still be resonant enough to be transmitable. To a point... It is a me thing lol!!!

I've used a borrowed B model, and it was great. Very valuable tool that is intuitive and easy to use. Still thinking of buying one for myself, and the prices are pretty decent brand new.

Brett

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I used the MFJ-259B for years and was fairly happy with it. It does have some limitations, though and newer designs of analyzers have features that will never exist on that MFJ series. It is also a little fragile.

I recently sold an MFJ-259B and opted for a Rigexpert analyzer. I can honestly say, the difference is quite amazing, and the price is comparable until you get into the more expensive UHF+ models. One of our local repeater owners recently when to our repeater site here in L.A., which is shared with many other broadcast stations. While attempting to use both the MFJ and Comet analyzers to look at the repeater antenna, the RFI was so bad that neither analyzer could get a reading. He went back with a Rigexpert and it had no problem.

So, I would say before spending money on the MFJ, look around at your options. There are also some inexpensive Chinese VNA's out now that have pretty cool features. The MFJ-259 is tried and true, but its design is also a little dated.

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I used the MFJ-259B for years and was fairly happy with it. It does have some limitations, though and newer designs of analyzers have features that will never exist on that MFJ series. It is also a little fragile.

I recently sold an MFJ-259B and opted for a Rigexpert analyzer. I can honestly say, the difference is quite amazing, and the price is comparable until you get into the more expensive UHF+ models. One of our local repeater owners recently when to our repeater site here in L.A., which is shared with many other broadcast stations. While attempting to use both the MFJ and Comet analyzers to look at the repeater antenna, the RFI was so bad that neither analyzer could get a reading. He went back with a Rigexpert and it had no problem.

So, I would say before spending money on the MFJ, look around at your options. There are also some inexpensive Chinese VNA's out now that have pretty cool features. The MFJ-259 is tried and true, but its design is also a little dated.

Any chance you might do a write up and compare/contrast the features of what is available out there? It would help those of us that are considering buying an analyzer.

Brett

Any chance you might do a write up and compare/contrast the features of what is available out there? It would help those of us that are considering buying an analyzer.

Brett

I can attempt it. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the subject, but I can give it a shot.

Reactions: Oatmeal and 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated