• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talked to WalMart Today on a HT?

Though I have had several brief QSOs with different businesses (the novelty soon wears off), when it comes to Wally World, I would never bother. Mainly because in this neck of the woods, most of their employees are barely understandable with their foreign accents and broken English.

I have one store a short way from where I live and this store gave up on the anti-theft devices put in product packaging that are zapped at the registers and converted to store walking security. The theft rate is so high in this store that, at a minimum each day, several calls to the town PD for shoplifters with no ID on them are made and the PD is getting very tired of all the calls each day. As it stands, potential shoplifters are asked for ID and then written out a "citation" of some sort to appear in court (?) at a later date. If no ID is on the person (innocent suspects as well), the PD is called to assist in the person's ID verification - kinda like nazi Germany in WW 2.

So if you LOOK suspicious in any way, you get to deal with the security personal, which can really mess up your day. Even the town PD makes remarks a lot over their radios about these calls in a derogitory manner.

No, when it comes to this company, I leave sleeping dogs lie since the whole company operates like a nation unto itself with no one to answer to.:sad:

nicely played

Thanks. I have a better one to tell you...

At another store that was even closer to me, I found out they were using 154.570....I was out in the parking lot, sitting in my vehicle...decided to mess with them so I got on and said the following...

Me: I need someone to come help me in the parking lot with the shopping carts
Them: Who is this?
Me: Doesn't matter who this is...are you gonna come out and help me?
Them: Come see me in my office (it was the manager)
Me: No, how about you come out and see me?

Next thing I know I see the manager burst thru the door with a "who the fuck just said that" look on his face....right as I drove past him. :LOL:

Thinking about keeping a MURS radio on me just in case I need customer assistance and don't feel like waiting an hour to get it.

You know, just because you can does not mean you should.
There are some people in my neighborhood who use motorola DTRs on public channel 1. I hear them and I could legally go talk to them etc..

But I dont. I keep my DTR radios set to a different channel and not disturb them.

Reactions: sunbulls
Let me tell you something about communicating with Walmart employees, Tried to ask 2 stockers last week if they could help find something the first one just gave me that deer in the headlights look so I tried asking the other one and he gave the first one that deer in the headlights stare and then the first one said "TOMALES YOU FIND" and then they started talking to each other in their language while I was walking away wondering what the hell just happened I was asking them if they could tell me where the toothpicks were and they had no idea what I said. Next question how do they stock the shelves when they can't speak or read English? Just saying. So maybe I will take my talkie with me to Walmart and hope I call somebody on it that can speak English.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
Well did you ever find where they stock toothpicks? I looked last weekend when I was making cheese stuffed smoked bacon wrapped jalapenos. I finally went to the baking section and found kabobs sticks to use instead.

Look in the Kitchen Tools & Gadgets department. I ever realized they had so many types and brands of toothpicks.

Reactions: codeman
Let me tell you something about communicating with Walmart employees, Tried to ask 2 stockers last week if they could help find something the first one just gave me that deer in the headlights look so I tried asking the other one and he gave the first one that deer in the headlights stare and then the first one said "TOMALES YOU FIND" and then they started talking to each other in their language while I was walking away wondering what the hell just happened I was asking them if they could tell me where the toothpicks were and they had no idea what I said. Next question how do they stock the shelves when they can't speak or read English? Just saying. So maybe I will take my talkie with me to Walmart and hope I call somebody on it that can speak English.

I took my wife to Quest Diagnostics for her pre appointment lab work and the woman who was working there spoke in such a heavy Spanish accent we couldn't understand a word she was saying. She finally said, can't you understand English.....my wife told her we can understand English just not broken English.

Reactions: Dude111 and mrgumby
anyone find any other cases wally world has lost regarding the radios ? maybe while on murs frequencies ? i love it when the wally worlds around me think they own the frequency . and its theirs lmfao they told me i cant be on my radio when i was in the store i about laughed my ass off and said have fun with that and continued to carry on my conversation . i informed walmart does not own anything you are on murs frequencies and no license required and are free for everyone to use by law think of the cb's same thing . and kept on going .

Reactions: brandon7861
Way before I became a ham, back when I was a young stupid trouble maker, I had all sorts of fun breaking the radio laws. One of the people I went to school with spoke german. When we figured out the drive through frequencies at taco bell, we would overpower the staff headsets and talk to the people in the drive through in german. At first, the staff told us we were breaking the law, so we kindly told them that they were too as their license was expired. One night we had them convinced the german voice was a ghost from the cemetery across the street! Another time, we had got on the school bus frequency late one evening and started talking as if we had stole a school bus. We made them think we were doing some dukes of hazzard stuff with it. When we said it was going to be driven into the river, they begged us not to do it lol. Another time we had parked next to a friends house (he was a paranoid pot head with a police scanner) so we got on the police frequency (with a quarter watt and crappy antenna - it was way off in the country) and had him convinced his place was about to get raided. He never did figure out it was us. We had so much fun back then...

anyone find any other cases wally world has lost regarding the radios ? maybe while on murs frequencies ? i love it when the wally worlds around me think they own the frequency . and its theirs lmfao they told me i cant be on my radio when i was in the store i about laughed my ass off and said have fun with that and continued to carry on my conversation . i informed walmart does not own anything you are on murs frequencies and no license required and are free for everyone to use by law think of the cb's same thing . and kept on going .
Sure would think with all the money they have, they would get a licensed frequency. They must get a bulk deal on those non-programmable motorola color dot radios. I used to have a set of CP100's.

Walmart is most likely grandfathered into the old "color dot" frequencies, which two of them became MURS. They can continue to use them, but they now have to accept all interference, including interference that may cause undesirable operation. ;)

I can neither confirm nor deny that calling "all available cashiers to their registers" might have reduced the wait time in line by a LOT. ;)

The Walmart in Chehalis, WA uses straight up FRS. I've used it a couple of times to say, "We need all available cashier's to the front end." When there are 10 people in each line and only two cashiers, I don't feel the least bit guilty doing that, especially when they are using FRS.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?