• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tektronics CFC-250 Frequency Counter

I use Oscilloscope probes. Get the ones that are switchable between 1 to 1 and 10 to 1. Start off with the probes set to 10 to 1 and that will keep you from hurting your frequency counter. Did you find your manuals?

I may contact tektronics
Good luck on that.
They built their equipment to last and when it gets too old the don't support them anymore hoping you will buy new ones. I wish you success because if you get help I might start knocking on their door for help with one of my old spectrum analyzers.

Do you feel confident enough to repair a freq counter?

Check and reheat/solder any solder joints that are really dull looking in appearance.

But going after a faulty IC is just going to be just LOADS of fun . . .

Last edited:
Back in the bad old dark ages frequency counters were expensive. Made it worth while to repair them. Saw a lot of the inline types with two coax sockets get smacked by lightning surges. Didn't have to hit the antenna to blow them out, just the neighbor's tree, if it was close enough.

Never did figure out how to do it without a 'scope and a manual, or at least a schematic diagram.

Also found that having the data book for each chip in the counter could help understanding how the thing works. Too many diagrams just show a rectangle for each logic chip with no hints about how the individual pins actually behave. The databook listing of the individual chips would serve to explain how that part is meant to behave.

Never have seen that model.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?