• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 250HDV

Feb 23, 2009
I have a brand new TS250HDV and when I power the amplifier on, the relay automatically engages, making it impossible to receive anything. I tried 2 different radios, mics, coax and power sources, but with the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pulling my hair out!

I'm no tech; but you are going to need a schematic for this one.

You will need to trace the relay circuit and find voltage entering in along at some point that is keying the relay on. Something is giving it voltage when it isn't supposed to get it - obviously. With a voltmeter and a soldering iron, isolating each part and eliminating one by one will expose the problem - but it will be time-consuming and effective.

Other than that, someone else that experience with that unit will have to point out where in particular to look for the problem source...

Was it converted before purchase?

[SIZE=+2]Texas Star CW Transmitter To RF Amplifier Conversion[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+3]Model DX250 & DX350[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=+1]Remove yellow 2200K cap of the oscillator board from the PCB [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=+1]Remove red wire of oscillator board from RF choke[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=+1]Remove green wire of oscillator board and attached 33pf cap[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=+1]Solder the leg of 15 or 18pf cap to input trace on PCB[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=+1]Remove black wire of oscillator board from keying jack[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=+1]Remove oscillator board[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=+1]Locate jumper wire attached to backside of red switch[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=+1]Unsolder the ground end of jumper wire closest to the relay[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=+1]Solder this end to bare lead of 10-ohm resistor behind red switch[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=+1]Remove 10-ohm resistor piggy-backed to 15K resistor located next to the white sand block resistor and RF choke[/SIZE]
Was this work done prior to your purchase?
This may be a stock CW transmitter and not setup yet to work as an amplifier. I found this info on-line so not sure if it 100% correct.
All the Best
BJ

BJ-
Yep I saw those instructions also. It seems that my amp was successfully converted. It matches up to the instructions here. A few people had mentioned it may have a bad keying transistor, so I'm going to change it tomorrow and see what happens!

[SIZE=+2]Texas Star CW Transmitter To RF Amplifier Conversion[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+3]Model DX250 & DX350[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=+1]Remove yellow 2200K cap of the oscillator board from the PCB [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=+1]Remove red wire of oscillator board from RF choke[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=+1]Remove green wire of oscillator board and attached 33pf cap[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=+1]Solder the leg of 15 or 18pf cap to input trace on PCB[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=+1]Remove black wire of oscillator board from keying jack[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=+1]Remove oscillator board[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=+1]Locate jumper wire attached to backside of red switch[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=+1]Unsolder the ground end of jumper wire closest to the relay[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=+1]Solder this end to bare lead of 10-ohm resistor behind red switch[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=+1]Remove 10-ohm resistor piggy-backed to 15K resistor located next to the white sand block resistor and RF choke[/SIZE]
Was this work done prior to your purchase?
This may be a stock CW transmitter and not setup yet to work as an amplifier. I found this info on-line so not sure if it 100% correct.
All the Best
BJ

if it's "brand new".... why don't ya just get your $$$$$$ back?;)
Then it would'nt be (cbing) now would it?

The relay is seeing a path to ground on the coil so most likely the transistor has gone short and is easily replaced with minor soldering skills.

Thanks to all who advised. I brought it back to where I got it and the shopkeeper hooked it up and said, "You have a bad keying transistor...here's a new one" he tested the new unit for me and all is well. Thanks for the info guys!

thats not the point.

i know i could fix it, and it sounds like you can too, but,....... what about the NEXT person that does buisness with the same seller? they may or may not know a diode from a dohickey.

if you paid for a working unit, then the seller needs to understand that they need to stand behind it.;)

lol we were both posting @ the same time. good deal on the shop standing behind their product(y)

Yeah man, that is harder and harder to come by these days. I normally do my business with Sparky's CB shack through the mail, but I found this place on my route in the Bronx, and it came recommended from a lot of the locals, so I've bought a bunch of small stuff from him. A cable here, a mic there. Friday was my first decent purchase and I have to say I will do business with him again, he stood behind his gear. A lot of places will tell you to call the 800 number for whatever company the product is from and I think that is just shoddy customer service. If you guys are ever in the Bronx, Delta Electronics on East Tremont is a good place to stop...
lol we were both posting @ the same time. good deal on the shop standing behind their product(y)

LOL! I may be a CB'er, but I'm not an idiot! I don't understand the "volting" phenomenon. I have a 5 pill dave made in my car, and if I want a bigger box, I'll go buy one, not run 20 volts through and beat up the components. I do appreciate your humor rfoverlord!
glad it was replaced, now pump 18 volts into it and dead key it with 40 watts and you'll be blowin smoke... just kiddin don't do that!

LOL! I may be a CB'er, but I'm not an idiot! I don't understand the "volting" phenomenon. I have a 5 pill dave made in my car, and if I want a bigger box, I'll go buy one, not run 20 volts through and beat up the components. I do appreciate your humor rfoverlord!

You can put 18 volts to that dave made. But the texas star won't last long at 18 volts.

It's not a phenomenon, it's physics. You have much to learn about your DaveMade.

Why buy a muscle car and run bald tires?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?