• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 350HDV

PickupMan

Dec 8, 2008
hello everyone i as wondering i have a 350HDV and i have been thinking about this deal i have been hearing about putting a 1 farad or 2 farad capacitor inline with the power. And me and a friend was thinking i could really get that amp to put out some power but is this true? i know it will put the power in reserve and boost voltage but i don't want to hook it up and blow my amp but im wondering if i can up my wattage by doing this without OVERDRIVING the amp and possibly hurting it.... BTW i only hit the amp with 3/4 of watt now... Thanks

so it will not do any good or help stabilize voltage/current? or even boost the output? reason asking is seeing some of these big amp guys saying "x" amount of watts with 15volts then "X" amount of watts with 20 volts

if i recall correctly........... putting 15 volts dc or more to any texas star amp is asking for trouble . if you want more power get a bigger amp or possibly a huge amp and use the 350 as a kicker .

the truth is even doubling your power will only add 1/2 an S-unit to your recieved tx .
check this out........

be for-warned.....i got too much spare time today .

.........so im thinking about how it takes increasing power 4 times to put 1 extra s-unit on a recieving units s-meter . so i thought id see/show how fast the watts add up and how expensive it gets beyond a certian point for just one more lil s-unit . i know....i know.....i need to get a life ;)

1 watt dead key swinging 4 watts = baseline of 0 s-units for my purpose here .
4 watts swinging 16 watts = +1 s-unit . (most radios will do this ammount or more)
16 watts swinging 64 watts = +1 additional s-unit . (some radios will do this ammount . some may need small $40-$50 amp)
64 watts swinging 256 watts = another +1 s-unit . (amp cost $150-$200)
256 watts swinging 1024 watts adds yet another s-unit . but we are only 3 s-units above what a typical radio will do . (amp cost 2x4C =$400 . 6x2879B = $550 . TS 1600ab $650 .
1024 watts swinging 4096 watts is the last s-unit for my purposes here . cost = 16x2879 FB $1300 + 4 pill driver $325 + 400 amp maul $800 = $2425 . i dont think mauls includes batteries so add them and the necessary power cabels and distribution blocks and you easily break $3000 oops......dont forget the alternator upgrade and if you dont do ALL the work yourself add the cost of someone doing it for you . $3500 minium . CHA-CHING CHA-CHING !!!!!!!
(p.s. id feel more comfortable getting 4K out of a 24 pill ($1900) than a 16 pill )

most here already know that linear amps are not linear in the effect they have on signal transmission . doubling or even quadropling your power certianly does not double your range of transmission . there is a sweet spot that is fairly economical in cost for the watts/effect given . it seems to me the little 2 pill is by far the king as far as biggest effect for your dollar . 250-300 real watts and i dont know of any vehicles that cant handle that extra 25-30 amp draw on its system . i also think 4 pills are pretty cost effective also for their price if you have a larger alternator to start with .

if you have a 2 pill now and want to get the same effect upgrading to a bigger amp as you did going from a barefoot radio it cost $3500 PLU$$$$$ . i dont know about the rest of you folks but i think that sucks and is way too expensive . but , it is what it is........
i know most here knew what i know now a long time ago so none of this is new . just thought i throw it out there as im sure other have deeper pockets than me and therefor different opinions .

some good info here . http://cbradiomagazine.com/March 2007/Power in Perspective.htm

could the 350HDV even handle this?
That's a good AB amp the way it is . Would last you a life time if run correctly. LEAVE IT ALONE !! 1 to 2 watts in. 20 to 30 watts pep from there should be OK , better yet , 4 to 1 ratio from your DK from given radio.

Texas Star's are good well made amps as is. Why F with them ? Peace

Jegs is right on the money though. Putting anything higher than 14.6 into it is asking for a smokeball. I run 14.2 into it and no more. I use a 350 hdv for some sideband here and there. It works great at 375, and I see no reason to push it harder for the minimal gain it would provide.

if i recall correctly (really asking for trouble !! lol ) vehicles operate @ 14.4 volts when the engine is running .

Most newer vehicles run at or around 14.2-14.7. Even at 14.7 when you key the mic there will be a slight drop off in voltage. The general rule I have always heard is 15 volts max for Texas Star or you will smell smoke. I like the idea of staying well under.

Most newer vehicles run at or around 14.2-14.7. Even at 14.7 when you key the mic there will be a slight drop off in voltage. The general rule I have always heard is 15 volts max for Texas Star or you will smell smoke. I like the idea of staying well under.

How may amps does the TS350 draw?? 25-30 amps, that is wired directly to battery.

Thanks,Ed

I ran mine on a 30 amp fuse and never blew it. If your getting 375 actual watts you have nothing to complain about, Thats exellent.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.