• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 500V amp not putting out....

It looks like I have a bad meter...I did ok square dancing as a kid doing the do-si-do, kinda bombing out on the Dosy-do though...
tearhair.gif

My tech;
If you are running a average power meter then 175 watts is probably what you will see. You have to have a peak reading meter in order to see 500 watts on a texas star 500. What do you see on just the radio?

my response;

I put the Dosy meter on the Galaxy 44 and it showed 2 watt deadkey swinging to 14 watts...

And his reply;
At least the meter is off everywhere. The radio put out 45 watts PEP on my bird 43. I would say that the meter is not reading very well. If you want to see true PEP, you need to have a bird 43 with the peak reading kit, Or I think there is a watt meter called a LP-100A that looks pretty accurate. I have heard that diamond has a few that are close within 15% or so. Hope this helps !

A little history on that meter..It was given to me by a buddy's widow shortly after he died...prior to his death he had sent it to Dosy to have it re calibrated, I know for a fact that he had never used it after he got it back, and this is the first time I have used it.

Bummer!, but at least I know what the root of the problem is.

Anyone want to buy a Dosy? I am only the second owner, might be willing to trade for a bird....
wink_.gif

I have a t/s 500v with a galaxy 949 I have my d/k set @ 50-100 watts depending on how much noise is on the channel and it swings to 250-275 on my tc-1000 dosy in my 01 ford f150 stock alt. and batt. when I put it on the deck wide open d/k is 200 watts and swings 450-475 I'm pretty happy with hope this gives you some help.

Ok I have a galaxy 33hml on Med. Its doing about 2.5 swinging 30 I get a 400 Watt dead key swinging to about 725 out of my Texas star 500hdv I was running my radio with about a 10 Watt dead key into the box and it took every bit of it with no trouble other than heating up the box really good I suggest a 7 Watt dead into the box is good enough it should give you a 450 to 500 Watt dead key.

Wha??!!?!?

Ok I have a galaxy 33hml on Med. Its doing about 2.5 swinging 30 I get a 400 Watt dead key swinging to about 725 out of my Texas star 500hdv I was running my radio with about a 10 Watt dead key into the box and it took every bit of it with no trouble other than heating up the box really good I suggest a 7 Watt dead into the box is good enough it should give you a 450 to 500 Watt dead key.

:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

A 500 watt dead key on a texas star 500 is fine if you want to use it for a space heater....just keep your local radio guy's number on speed dial and buy some extra 2879's.
It is going to live a very short life under that kind of stress.

Jeff

Reactions: 144inBama
is it possible for the varible pot to go bad in these amps? yesterday morning i went to turn down the linear with the knob and as soon as you back it down output drops to 20w..... guess it needs a new varible pot on the front... what is the value on this pot?

100 ohm 5 watts.
Leave it wide open and use the radio to control the power.
RF Parts has them....
You can get the number at rfparts.com......call them and tell them what you need

Jeff

Well I've been running it this way way for three months and no problems out of it. Its been doing great. I was 20 to 30 miles from home talking to my local guys at home and they swore up and down that I was in town but I wasn't. I'm currently using a 2.5 Watt dead key into the box and getting a 400 Watt dead key swinging 725. If the box is a high drive box it should be able to handle a 500 Watt dead key as it is stated to do. Ill find out, and besides the 2879's ain't that expensive if you shop around yeah you get what you pay for bit its fun to kinda play around.

Lol
3.5 to 4 watts in will net about 200 to 250 out
20 watts peak in will get you about 500 watts out
The basic T/S 500 V has not changed since the 80's
2879's are running about 35 bucks each nowdays.
I am not tring to bash you but if your meter is correct ( and I do not think it is) a 500 watt dead key is way to much for a 500 v. I would not run a class c comp amp at 500 watts dead key if I wanted it to last very long.
X Force recomends no more than a 300 watt dead key out of the 400-12 and it is running 4 2879's in class B
If you want to keep that amp happy stay under a 200 watt dead key and let it swing up from that. And put a fan on it.
Jeff

i had a 500v i used with a uniden washington with a variable deadkey . the variable on the amp was scratchy but i just bypassed it with the green button and 1 1/2ish watts gave me a 125ish deadkey , the 16 pep the radio did would swing it to half a hair under 500 watts . the variables are known to go bad in them but they are good clean CB amps .

You expect people on this forum to believe what you posted?????? You are lucky to get 500 watts out of a TS 500 driving it with a ModV. Only 3 posts on this forum and you are already being asked to sit in the corner.

Reactions: 1 person
Well I've been running it this way way for three months and no problems out of it. Its been doing great. I was 20 to 30 miles from home talking to my local guys at home and they swore up and down that I was in town but I wasn't. I'm currently using a 2.5 Watt dead key into the box and getting a 400 Watt dead key swinging 725. If the box is a high drive box it should be able to handle a 500 Watt dead key as it is stated to do. Ill find out, and besides the 2879's ain't that expensive if you shop around yeah you get what you pay for bit its fun to kinda play around.

Now thats just plain funny right there.....wow. Sounds like someone needs a new watt meter for X-Mas.

Reactions: 1 person
Now thats just plain funny right there.....wow. Sounds like someone needs a new watt meter for X-Mas.

and someone has no idea what a proper dead key to swing ratio is .
but , some folks just wanna see their meter swing to the right as far as possible all the time . :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.